AP Literature students participate in a book tasting

Students in AP Literature participate in the book tasting. Hosted by Mrs. Johnson, this opportunity allowed students to pick the next book for their project.

Every year, high school students read some sort of book for their English class. However, this year students in English teacher Jordan Johnson’s AP Literature class were able to do things a little differently. 

With the help of librarian Heather Johnson, students were able to participate in a “book tasting.” This book tasting allowed students to try out various different books, and pick one of the seven options to read for their next unit in class. The seven options given to students are as follows.

“The Road,” a post-apocalyptic novel, detailing the grueling journey of a father and his young son across a landscape devastated by cataclysm. Senior Gracey Malmberg said, “Honestly, (“The Road) was very crushing and the purpose of the book was to rip your heart out. It was very disturbing and made you consider what you have rather than what you don’t have. I don’t regret reading this book, but I do wish it could have made me happier instead of depressed.”

“The Color Purple,” a tale in the life of a young African-American woman in the South who survives incredible abuse and bigotry.

“I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings,” an autobiography describing the young and early years of American writer and poet, Maya Angelou. 

“Homegoing,” a historical fiction novel detailing the journey of a Ghanaian family over the span of two centuries.

“Their Eyes Were Watching God,” a Harlem Renaissance novel concerning trust, love, marriage, beauty, and wisdom.

“Bless Me, Ultima,” a coming-of-age novel about the life of a Chicano boy living in 1940s New Mexico.

“The Kite Runner,” a novel about the story of an Afghan boy and his struggles during times of change in his home country. AP Literature student Israel Grande said, “I’m glad I chose (“The Kite Runner”) over all others. This story is found in the cultural setting of Afghanistan; thus, the reader immerses themselves in customs and cultures that are abnormal to the American culture. Ultimately, the novel elevates themes of love, honesty, violence, guilt, redemption, along with some plot twists. It is a book that keeps you on your toes.”

H. Johnson said, “I really wanted to give upper-level English students a chance to really enjoy what they were reading. I know students may not always have that opportunity, so I wanted to help make that possible.”

Ultimately, this book tasting makes AP Literature a more enjoyable class, allowing students to truly be themselves. These book tasting projects hosted by Mrs. Johnson allow students to use the opportunity to choose their own book, as an opportunity to learn.