How to plan a graduation party

Graduation parties are a tradition to celebrate the achievements of students, as well as a time to welcome graduates into a new chapter in their lives. These gatherings can be stressful to plan as there are many components that make up a successful party. From invitations, themes, food, and more, staying organized is the key to success.

The first step in planning a party is choosing a date and time. Most people choose to hold their graduation parties shortly after the school year ends, but some hold off into the summer. Making sure to choose a date that works for all involved will help the day run smoothly. 

Senior Owen Anderson plans to “hold [his] party over Memorial Day” due to many people having the day off. 

The next step is to make a list of those invited to the celebration. Whether it’s a small party of close family and friends, or a larger party with extended family, teams, and teachers, creating a list of possible attendance is important. Gathering information such as phone numbers and addresses to send invitations to will create an easier invite process.

After finishing the invitation process, the time for planning the party follows after. 

Senior Kirsten Workman shared she is “planning to use blue and gold” and is getting her decorations from Hobby Lobby. Popular colors for graduation parties are black and gold, which are easy to find at local stores like Walmart or dollar stores.

Most parties include a meal or snacks for guests. Choosing an affordable and functional meal, like walking tacos, pulled pork, or sliders adds to the simplicity of the day. Catering food from restaurants like Arthur’s Garden Deli or Candlelight is a smart choice if preparing food isn’t an option. 

Getting creative with any extra additives to a graduation party can create a fun environment. Some people use advice cards and party games to elevate the atmosphere. Holding a graduation party outside provides more opportunities for yard games. 

Senior Lainey Block is having her party outside so “people can enjoy the summer weather” and “participate in activities.”

Time is nearing to have a party planned out, but staying organized can lessen the stress of an enjoyable day. 

$75
$500