S.H.S. holds final choir concert

The Sterling High School Choir completed their last choir concert of the year on May 14, 2024. Students in choir had been working on these songs for months in order to get them ready to sing for the concert. 

The S.H.S. Choir is composed of two different choirs including freshmen and sophomore in Gold Choir and juniors and seniors in Blue Choir. Each choir sang two songs in the concert and then sang one song together. Students had many hard practices to prepare them for this performance. 

Junior Eleanor Aitken said, “The practices were very beneficial and we improved a lot throughout the months leading up to the performance.” 

Gold choir sang “Journey On” by Derrick Fox and “Don’t Give Up On Me” by Andy Beck, featuring soloist August Knutsen. “Don’t Give Up On Me” is a song from a very popular movie called “Five Feet Apart.” 

The choirs then combined on stage to sing “Bound for the Promised Land” by Robert Boyd. This song is a very special song to many, especially choir teacher Weston Henry. This song was last sung in 2006 at a memorial for Mark Beaty. Beaty was the choir director for many, including Henry, so this was a very meaningful song for him. Henry has never felt like he had the courage or group to perform this song but he thought this year was the year he would perform it. 

The Blue choir then performed the final two pieces of the night which included “Sing Gently” by Eric Whitacre and “Big Yellow Taxi” by Adam and Matt Podd, featuring Jamie Boze on the shaker. “Big Yellow Taxi” is an upbeat pop song Henry thought would be a good way to end the choir portion of the concert.

This final choir concert was very successful and all of the student’s hard work finally showed. 

$75
$500