Graduates prepare to enter the military

Junior Zack Koppien takes an enlistment quiz. The Military requires you to take an enlistment quiz to find its best fit for you.

The traditional route after high school involves going to a four-year college and picking a career path from there. Some seniors forego this route and choose to serve their country by enlisting in the military instead. Branches of the military include the Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard, Army, and the National Guard. 

Senior Jadon Jones elected to enlist in the Air Force, and as the name suggests, is the air branch of the military. Airmen, or members of the Air Force, are the “eyes and ears” of the military, conducting many surveillance missions. Jones chose to be in this branch because he is interested in surveillance and “proud to be an American that will serve [his] country.” He is excited to enlist and will go to basic training shortly after graduation. 

Senior Julian Ramos enlisted in the National Guard, a reserve branch of the military. The Guard, while it can deploy troops, is mainly responsible for domestic events such as natural disasters. Ramos plans to “help [his] country and its citizens by making sure it is safe to do anything that can come, such as natural disasters.”

Senior Fernando Cervantes also chose to enlist in the Guard. Cervantes also shared Ramos’s view of helping his country in times of disaster. But another important aspect for Cervantes was that he “could still spend time with family and live a regular life outside the military all while still serving [his] country.”

Senior Ben Boze is also enlisting in the Guard but once again for entirely different reasons. While Boze still thought it would be honorable to serve his country, it ultimately came down to him being bored and wanting something to do after high school. He also “thought [he] was gonna regret not joining in the future so [he] took the chance while [he] had it.” Boze is also further in the ranks because of his previous Boy Scout experience. Because of his Eagle Scout rank, the highest rank in Boy Scouts, he was able to skip two ranks immediately upon joining. Boze plans to be a combat engineer in the field.

Serving your country is an honorable choice to make after graduating and S.H.S. is proud of these young men.

$75
$500