Impact time is running out!

Impact time is running out!

Sauk Valley Community College Impact program is a program that offers two free years of college. To qualify for this program, students must have 25 community service hours each year of high school, so in total 100 hours throughout the four years. There are also other qualifications such as graduating on time or early, and applying for scholarships and other colleges. 

Time is running out for community service hours this year as they are due on May 31. Many people find it easy to get their hours done. But those who have sports or other activities sometimes have a difficult time fitting Impact hours into their schedules. 

Freshman Charles Nawrocki said, “It took me the whole year to get them done.” 

One way to get your hours out of the way before the school year begins is to do them during the summer. The Impact website offers many different events that are available weekly. If none of those events seem appealing you can always find your own events. Not all events are listed so it may be easier to ask your school what they have available. 

Many students find it easy to sign up for concession stands. There are many different sports throughout the school year that have numerous home games that always need concession help.   

Freshman Sophie Potthoff said, “The easiest thing to sign up for so far has been baseball concessions. I love the website that is used and it is very user friendly.”

Finding people to work events can be difficult. The impact program has helped event coordinators find people who can work the event which is a benefit for both parties. 

Event coordinators like Traci Nettleton said, “Impact volunteers were a huge asset to the concession stand. Their work allowed parents to attend their son’s games instead of missing it due to volunteering in the concession stand.” 

Students volunteer at other places such as churches, school events like classroom parties, and dance clean-ups. The time to get Impact hours completed is running out so make sure you have all of your hours done. The Impact program can make a difference in many lives as it is a free alternative to a 4-year college. 

$75
$500