S.H.S. Boys Track Conference Recap

The Western Big 6 Boys Conference Meet was held at Galesburg High School on May 10. The meet consisted of each team’s top three athletes for each event. The Sterling Golden Warriors had a total of 30 athletes competing where they placed fourth overall with a score of 98. 

Junior Joseph Holcomb raced in the open 100m dash and placed eighth with a time of 11.49. Sophomore Maruice Delacruz raced in the open 200m dash, coming in third place recording a time of 23.34. Senior Jordan Britt raced in the open 400m and came in third place with a time of 51.40. 

Senior Dale Johnson raced in the 1600m, with a time of 4:23.80 and placed first. Johnson also raced in the 3200m and again placed first with a time of 9:44.74. Junior Aalin Schmidt also raced in the 3200m, and placed 3rd with a personal record(PR) of 9:55.23. Senior William Howard raced in both the 110m hurdles and the 300m hurdles, and placed eighth in both events with a time of 16.67 for 110m hurdles and 43.11 for 300m hurdles.

Senior Andre Klaver competed in the high jump, and placed first with a jump of 1.95m or 6’ 4.75”. Senior Mason Emin competed in long jump, placing fourth with a jump of 6.36m or 20’ 10.5”. 

The members of the 4×200 were Junior Cole Stumpenhorst as the first leg, Holcomb as the second leg, Delacruz as the third leg, and junior Kaedon Phillips as the fourth leg. The 4x200m relay came in second place with a time of 1:30.65, which was also a new PR for the 4x200m relay.

The members of the 4x400m relay were Britt as the first leg, freshman Quincy Maas as the second leg, senior Owen Anderson as the third leg, and Johnson as the fourth leg. The 4x400m relay placed 1st with a time of 3:25.53. This was also a new PR for the 4x400m relay.

The members of the 4x800m relay were, Anderson as the first leg, senior Parker Janssen as the second leg, junior Parker Blakeslee as the third leg, and Britt as the fourth leg, The 4x800m relay placed 2nd with a time of 8:11.14, and was a new PR for the 4x800m relay.

Stumpenhorst, who was the first leg of the 4x200m relay, said, “I approached the conference meet with excitement and confidence as I had been given the opportunity to run in two major relay events. I was extremely nervous but excited nonetheless.”

Excited and nervous were common feelings among the participants.

Howard said, “The meet was filled with excitement, I felt ready to compete all night and that comes from the week of carefully planned training before the meet. Overall I think this meet was one of my favorites to compete in.” 

Congratulations to all Golden Warrior track athletes!

$75
$500