S.H.S. Boys Track attends Top Times

The Illinois Top Times Championships Meet was held on Saturday, March 23 in the Shirk Center at Illinois Wesleyan University. The Illinois Top Times Meet consists of the top 12 athletes for each event in the state. There were over 80 teams competing in the meet, with Sterling having a total of 8 athletes competing within the championships. 

Junior Joseph Holcomb raced in the open 200m, coming in sixth place, recording a time of 23.11. This was Holcomb’s best time during the indoor season. Senior Jordan Britt raced in the 400m and came in tenth place with a time of 53.01. Lastly, senior Dale Johnson raced in the 1600m, placing fifth with a time of 4:23.62 which was his best time of the indoor season. 

The members of the 4×200 were Holcomb, with the first leg with a split of 23.46, sophomore Maurice Delacruz as the second leg with a split of 23.54, junior Cole Stumpenhorst as the third leg with a split of 23.15, and freshman Quincy Maas as the fourth leg with a split of 23.54. The 4×200 ultimately placed fifth with a time of 1:33.71.

The members of the 4×400 were Delacruz as the first leg, Britt as the second leg, senior Owen Anderson as the third leg, and Johnson as the fourth leg. The 4×400 ended up placing 11th with a time of 3:44.31. 

The members of the 4x800m were Johnson as the first leg, Anderson as the second leg, as the third leg, and senior Parker Janssen as the fourth leg. The 4×800 placed second with a time 8:09.69, this was this team’s best time of the indoor season. 

Junior Cole Stumpenhorst, who competed in the 4×200, said, “Top times was a much different experience than our usual indoor meets because there were so many different teams that we aren’t used to seeing, it’s way more crowded and it was at a college facility instead of Westwood, definitely was a super fun experience.”

Although it was a highly competitive meet, the boys gave it their all and expected to do well.

Janssen said, “Getting second at a big meet is great because it increases expectations and the best place to be is when expectations are high, and as we get further into the outdoor season, the expectations continue to rise.”

If the boys track team can continue to get better, then we will be seeing a very successful and promising season.

$75
$500