Brecken Peterson makes S.H.S. Boys Tennis History

S.H.S.’s star tennis player Brecken Peterson made an amazing accomplishment on Monday, May 6, 2024. He earned his 100th career singles win, which is also the school record for singles wins in S.H.S. history with the previous record of 91 wins. 

Peterson played his match against Newman and won the match by a score of 6-1 6-0. He was honored with his accomplishment before the match.

Peterson said, “Honestly, I had no clue this was my 100th win.” He also stated that “I felt everyone else knew about this but me.”

Peterson also has set previous goals for himself in the past. He says his goal last year was to “win three matches at state” which he was able to achieve. Peterson is not finished yet and says his goal is to place in the top 12 at state this year.

Peterson has left an enormous impact on the boys tennis program. 

Head coach Michael Gottemoller said, “Brecken has brought statewide recognition to the Sterling Boys tennis program. Everywhere we go, he is recognized as an excellent player with high character. Other players, coaches, and fans seek him out wherever we go.”

He is appreciated by his coaches and teammates. 

Senior Yamaan Alkhalaf said, “I have played with Brecken all four years of high school. Despite the skill gap, I still felt that he cared for the team and really wanted the best for all. He was a great friend who made the team very enjoyable to be a part of.”

Peterson has been the team MVP since his freshman year and has led the team in single wins all 4 years at S.H.S. He is also a very hard worker as he works at his game constantly and is an excellent example to everyone on the court.

As well as being a great player, he is also a great teammate. 

Gottemoller said, “He always arrives on time, stays late, and helps younger players get better. He plays tennis to get better all the time. He is a three-year captain and has always been the example for everyone to follow.” 

$75
$500