Ag Mech. class builds playhouses

Sterling High School’s Ag Mechanics 2 students recently started building their major project for spring and the class decided to repeat a fan-favorite project: playhouses. 

In December 2023, students began their builds. At the start of the project, students were provided with a cut list and directions. Each piece of wood had to be precisely cut to a certain length in order for it to be flush and look clean together. These playhouses are available for purchase. The cost is 500 dollars and the playhouses can be delivered directly to the customer. 

Junior Cole Stumpenhorst explained, “I really like working on the playhouses because I feel like it gives us a good chance to replicate what carpentry would look like in the real world. It’s also really nice to have the opportunity to build something without the cost of materials being a factor.”  

After students are finished with the building process, they go on a day field trip and deliver the playhouse to the customers. 

Ag mechanics teacher Megan Stanley said, “While most of my students fuss about having to do work in class and pay attention to fine details, I think they find value once the playhouses are all said and done and they can compare their finished product to what they started as. It is incredible to watch their transformation.” 

Students have to use different tools and materials that they might not be familiar with. Those who have experience using certain tools help out others in the class when the teacher is busy helping another student.

Senior Ben Boze said, “I like working on the playhouses because it is fun and interactive.” 

Playhouses are expected to be delivered before the end of the school year.

$50
$500