December Students of the Month

The Sterling High School Student of the Month (SOTM) is the highest level of academic and extracurricular recognition for Sterling High School seniors. SOTM winners are students who have challenged themselves with rigorous courses, are involved in activity and/or athletics, have taken on a leadership role within the school community, and portray Sterling High School in a positive light. The two students that were awarded this title for November are Vincent Nguyen and Kylie Kicklaus.

Nguyen has proven his worth at S.H.S. with the many activities he has done and the Accelerated/AP classes Nguyen has taken. Nguyen holds a GPA of 4.095, and his knowledge continues to grow. Due to his great time management skills, Nguyen has been able to complete classes such as Accelerated Geometry, Accelerated Algebra 2, Accelerated Chemistry, AP Biology, AP Human Geography, AP Chemistry, AP Psychology, and AP Calculus.

Sterling High School has recognized many of Nguyen’s skills and has awarded him for his talents. He has received many awards during his time at Sterling High School, such as a Rotary Excellence Award, an academic letter, an academic pin, and a football letter. 

Outside of school, Nguyen participates in clubs like Young Doctor’s League, Student Council, student athletic training, football, and track. He likes working out, science, and drawing. His future plans are to attend UIUC to learn biochemistry and become either an optometrist or a chiropractor.

The other student that has been awarded with Student of the Month for December is Kylie Nicklaus. Due to her passion and dedication, Nicklaus holds a GPA of 4.048 and has completed classes such as Accelerated Geometry, Accelerated Algebra 2, AP Language and Composition, AP Literature and Composition, AP 2D Art and Design, and AP Drawing. 

Nicklaus has been awarded for her academic and involvement skills. She has been awarded Rotary Scholar (4 years), NHS, All-Conference Awards for track & cross country, state qualifier for track, Greenhand Award (FFA), and Freshman Student of the Month. 

Nicklaus is a part of FCA, NHS, Key Club, track, cross country, and FFA. Outside of school, she assists in the PADs Shelter. Her favorite hobbies are running/lifting, art, being outdoors, reading, and making bread. After high school, Nicklaus plans to enlist in the military, go into trade school for auto mechanics and welding, and possibly attend an art institute or partake in art education. 

These two really set the bar and represent the very best and Sterling High School and they will move on to accomplish their big goals afterwards.