October Students of the Month

Hunter Lofgren and Anna Hutchison

The Sterling High School Student of the Month (SOM) is the highest level of recognition for Sterling High School seniors. SOM winners are students who have challenged themselves with rigorous courses, are involved in activities and/or athletics, have taken on a leadership role within the school community, and portray Sterling High School in a positive light for the community. The two students that were awarded with this title for October are Hunter Lofgren and Anna Hutchison.

Lofgren represents the very best at Sterling High School, holding a GPA of 4.146, his knowledge continues to grow. Due to his great time management skills, Lofgren has been able to complete classes such as AP US Government, AP Chemistry, AP Human Geography, and is currently taking AP Literature, and AP Psychology. 

Sterling High School has recognized many of Lofgren’s skills and has awarded him for his many talents. He has received multiple awards throughout his time at Sterling High School, such as being part of the Rotary Scholar and is a 3-time consecutive Chess NICL conference champion. 

Outside of school, Lofgren often participates in volunteer work that includes church and working with the Sauk Valley food bank. He also enjoys playing video games and exercising in his free time. Lofgren has been honored with the title co-president of the National Honor Society, and is a member of the FFA. He has participated in numerous sports and activities during his time at SHS, such Swimming, Golf, Tennis, and is a member of the young doctor’s league. Hunter’s plan for the future is to attend college for engineering. 

The other student that has been awarded with the title “Student of the Month” is Anna Hutchison. Due to her love for learning, Hutchison holds an outstanding GPA of 4.133 and has completed classes such as AP Biology, AP Lang and Comp, and is currently enrolled in AP Lit and Comp, AP Calculus, AP Government, and AP Psychology. 

Hutchison has been awarded for her academic skills and involvement. She is a current senior class officer and has been gifted and honored with an academic letter and pin, quarterly incentives, honor roll, all-sectional cast (GI), and ILMEA all-district choir member.

Hutchison participates in activities that consist of tennis, library club, madrigals, group interpretation, and the marching band in which she is the baritone section leader. 

Outside of school, Hutchison teaches second grade religion at Sacred Heart Church, preparing students for their first communion at the end of the school year. Hutchison loves to sing, read, listen to show tunes, and find new ways to organize messy spaces. After high school, Hutchison intends to go to a four-year university (specifically Illinois State University) to pursue a major in education, and hopefully become a history teacher at the high school level.

These two really set the bar and represent the very best and Sterling High School and they will move on to accomplish amazing things post-high school.