April Students of the Month

S.H.S. Student of the Month is a great achievement to reach for during senior year. It takes hard work and dedication to not only school work but all the extracurricular activities. 

Seniors Carter Chance and Sydney Graves not only took accelerated and AP courses but went above and beyond in their activities outside of schoolwork.

Chance has taken several accelerated classes such as Algebra 2, chemistry, biology, and geometry. Along with accelerated courses, Chance took several AP classes such as biology, chemistry, calculus, and pre-calculus. With all these difficult courses Chance kept a 4.2 GPA. Chance also is a member of the National Honor Society. 

For extracurricular activities, Chance participated in soccer and basketball. For soccer, he was the captain of the team and was a three-time varsity starter. Chance was also a three-time varsity basketball player, and a four-time varsity track and field runner. He was awarded conference honorable mention for soccer, and MVP for junior varsity and varsity soccer. For basketball, he was awarded freshman offensive MVP, and varsity skills player. For track and field, Chance was a member of the 4×200 Top Times champion relay for indoor state. 

Chance has also done volunteer work for S.H.S. concession stands, a food drive for the YWCA in Dixon, and yard work for neighbors during the summer. Chance enjoys playing disc golf, pickleball, and his other high school sports. He likes to hang out with his friends and family and enjoys playing card games. Chance plans to attend college for an engineering degree after high school. 

Senior Sydney Graves has also taken many accelerated classes such as English 1 and 2, geometry, biology, chemistry, and algebra 2. Graves has also taken several AP classes such as human geography, biology, US history, Lang and Comp, and chemistry. With all these courses Graves has still managed to keep up a 4.2 GPA. Graves has received the AP Scholar with Honor award and was also a freshman student of the month. She was also a Rotary Excellence participant in her freshman, sophomore, and junior years. 

Outside of academics, Graves participated in girls swim and dive during her freshman, sophomore, and junior years. She was on the speech team in ninth grade, was a chess member and attended the Young Doctors League in her sophomore and junior years. Graves is also a member of the student council this year and in her junior year. She is also in the National Honor Society. 

She got awards for varsity swimming during every year she swam. Graves is an active member and takes leadership in the student council and National Honors Society. 

Outside of school, Graves volunteers at her church and mission trips to South Dakota and Kentucky. She enjoys making pottery, crocheting, sewing, cooking, and dog training. Graves plans to attend a four-year university and major in neuroscience on a pre-med path. 

These students worked very hard to achieve their goals academically and in their sports. They took the extra time outside of school to go above and beyond to get to where they are now. 

$75
$500