• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Entertainment Review: Laufey’s new album “Bewitched”

On September 8th, modern jazz artist Laufey (pronounced Lay-vay) released her sophomore album “Bewitched” on all music streaming platforms. Laufey is an Icelandic-Chinese singer who began rising to fame in the early 2020s, especially with her first full-length album “Everything I Know About Love,” which came out in 2022.

Compared to her first studio album, “Bewitched” is much bolder and straight-forward while talking about relationships, feelings, love, and self-discovery. Where her first album is much more intimate and hesitant, “Bewitched” is broad and goes along with different parts of life such as being a dreamer, not simply the romance aspects. 

Laufey’s voice and tone is one that is nostalgic, taking inspiration from songs by Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday, and that easily captivates her listeners through her storytelling and narrative. 

This album has many tracks that people of all ages are likely to enjoy, but some of the top tracks on the album include “Promise,” “From the Start,” “California and Me,” and “Bewitched,” the title track. Some of the tracks even reference hit romance movies in the titles, such as “Serendipity” and “While You Were Sleeping.”

In my opinion, “Bewitched” has no songs that I would skip and all of the songs on the album are worth the listen. Songs such as “Serendipity” and “Letter To My 13 Year Old Self” are just a couple of my personal favorites that many others might find endearing or relatable. 

If you’re looking for a new genre of music, but aren’t sure what to listen to, Laufey’s albums are a great place to start, especially if you’re looking for some jazz or classical music.

This album is one that has continued building bridges between generations and their music with the old jazz sound mixed with new styles of jazz and classical, people of any age are able to enjoy it. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.