• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Entertainment Review: “A Man Called Ove”

People are always looking for a good book to read. “A Man Called Ove” by author Fredrik Backman is a book that will have you laughing, crying, and seeing the world in a different way. You can buy this at Barnes and Noble for $3.99, Apple Books for $9.80, Kindle Store for $13.99, and Audible with a subscription. You can also check it out at the local library or school library. 

“The Man Called Ove” is a novel under the humorous fiction category. If you enjoy sad but happy endings, meaningful stories, and many emotions in a book then you would like this. This book is a little slow paced, so if you enjoy action filled thrilling books this is not the type of book you would normally read. 

“A Man Called Ove” has a very deep meaning and message shown throughout this book. Some topics that are expressed in this book are love, friendship, grief, and community. 

Some similar books that are recommended to read are “Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand,” “My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry,” and “The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.” 

It is a hit and chosen to be read in English classes, including here at Sterling High School. It’s a New York Times bestseller with over three million copies sold. It was even made into a movie that was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 89th Academy Awards.  

The successful author is Fredrik Backman. He is a Swedish blogger and writer. “A Man Called Ove was a number one bestseller across Scandinavia. He’s sold over one million copies worldwide. Two of his other novels, “Anxious People” and “My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry,” went straight to number one in Sweden. 

It is worth the money if you can’t check it out for free. It’s a book that will make you feel many emotions. Maybe even change your view on some things in life. It has a beautiful storyline with crazy events happening to keep you from putting down the book. Overall, a very good book and worth the money. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.