• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Team bonding sets the stage for success

Varsity volleyball players wear white lie t-shirts for practice as one of their team building activities. Every week volleyball players have a different dress day.

Team bonding is necessary for every sport so they can be able to work together as a team. In all sports, it is important to have a great connection with your teammate so everyone can know how to help and work together to get a win or make someone better.

The football team does team dinner on every Thursday the day before their game no matter if the game is away or home on Friday’s. During play-offs they do a team breakfast the morning of their game. Every year seniors have a freshman that they teach and get them used to and caught up on how to do certain plays. If they are confused they are a mentor to them the entire season. Practices in the summer are for them to connect with the incoming freshman.

Senior Lucas Austin said, “Team dinners make them have a better connection and makes their team be able to play more together on the football field.”

Swim and dive used to do team dinners every day before a meet. Now they do them only right before conference and sectional meets. They dress up nice every day at school when they have a meet. 

Junior Madison Austin said, “Although we don’t do team dinners we still have a good connection. We don’t really have any connection that we need to have in the pool unless it is a relay but even then we don’t talk to each other.”

Girls volleyball has team dinners every Monday night right after practice. They dress up for every practice on Wednesdays, each practice is a different theme. The only time there will be a gift given is either on senior night or sometime at team dinners there will be a game or name picking to win a small gift from the person having that team dinner. Every year in the summer they do a Kiddy Camp, where they teach kids from K-8th grade how to play volleyball and how to improve their skills if they already play. Also every summer they go on a western trip in a cabin in the woods and to team building activities and stay in a cabin with bunk beds. 

Junior Merrick Amankwa (Delali Amankwa) said “team bonding has always made us better. The past three years I have been on varsity team bonding has made me closer to my teammates and has made us a team.”

A lot of teams do some type of team bonding and it helps them. Most people want to be able to become closer to their teammates to be able to do their best as a team and to be a good teammate.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.