Ramadan Explained

People+engage+in+spiritual+activities+in+the+mosque+during+Ramadan.+These+special+activities+are+looked+forward+to+every+year.+
People engage in spiritual activities in the mosque during Ramadan. These special activities are looked forward to every year.

Every lunar year, Muslims across the world celebrate and participate in Ramadan, a month in which Muslims fast and engage in spiritual activities. The month is always filled with joy and people are always in a good mood. 

Ramadan is the ninth month of the lunar calendar that Muslims follow. In this month, Muslims fast from dawn to sunset, meaning they can not eat or drink anything. At sunset when they can finally eat they typically meet with other families and enjoy dinner together. Finally, they usually go to the mosque after dinner and enjoy spiritual activities. 

Before dawn, many wake up to eat a small nutritious meal called suhoor. This meal is highly encouraged as it eases the fasting experience.

However, not everyone has to fast. Travelers, sick people, and people with medical exceptions are all exempt from fasting. However, depending on their reason, they may have to make up the fast later.

Though the month is as enjoyable as it is, it does not come without its hardships. For the first few days, it is normal for someone participating to feel tired and fatigued. However, this feeling goes away once the body gets used to the change. Also, some might find it hard to find free time in the month, yet with correct time management this issue can easily be solved.

Senior Ibraim Redzepi said, “While fasting, I like to watch inspirational videos, such as David Goggins, to get me through the day as well as to learn something new.”

At the end of the month, Muslims celebrate Eid Al Fitr, where they honor their hard work and sacrifice throughout Ramadan. Eid Al Fitr typically starts at the mosque where a special prayer is held and then people typically go out and eat and enjoy the special day. It is also encouraged for Muslims to gift each other on this day. 

Junior Jubraan Alkhalaf said “I enjoy this day since I always get to spend time with friends and family as well as celebrating my accomplishment.”

At surface level, Ramadan seems like it would be dreaded by all people participating. However, it is rather looked forward to as it comes with many blessings and benefits. Participating in the month brings an unexplained feeling of calmness and always creates life-long memories.

$50
$500