Baker leads wrestling team for his first season as head coach

The Sterling High School wrestling was led by a new head coach this season in  former Olympic wrestler coach Nolan Baker. Baker joined the Sterling High School staff last year as a government and economic teacher, as well as assistant wrestling coach. 

When former head coach Kevin Heller stepped down, Baker took the position as head coach for the 2023-2024 season. Coaching wrestling was nothing new for Baker. Before he came to Sterling, Baker was an assistant coach at Vista Ridge High School in Colorado Springs, Colorado. 

Being a head coach for the first time comes with many challenges.

“There is a lot that goes into being a head coach behind the scenes such as building relationships, coordinating events, and maintaining accurate records,” Baker said. 

Leadership plays an important role while coaching any sport or club, including making sure that everyone is understanding and following instructions. 

Baker said, “A coach’s leadership is only as effective as the buy-in from their athletes, and nearly every wrestler who came out this year has bought in to my coaching staff’s vision for the program. 

Always bringing the energy to every practice, meet, and tournament, Baker never lets his wrestlers down.

Senior Isaiah Mendoza said, “I like that Coach Baker is very energetic and he brings his personality to the wrestling room.” 

No matter the outcome, the attitude is always the same. The goal will never change, striving to keep winning. Baker always carries positive energy in the room.

“I like that coach Baker is chilled, and always has a smile on his face,” junior Landon Kenney said. 

Having Baker as a head coach has made a significant impact on the S.H.S. wrestler and will continue to do so going forward.

$50
$500