• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Falls Sports recap

The fall sports cycle has officially ended for all sports. All teams were very successful and they all had many goals to their season. 

The boys soccer team finished their season with a 9-14-4 record. They won their first regional against LaSalle-Peru after falling to Dunlap. Head coach Brian Cebula says “[t]he outcome was very solid and sets some good groundwork for seasons to come.”

The boys golf team brought the heat with a 6-1 head-to-head record. They placed fifth place in their conference meet and fourth place at their regional. Junior Mason Hubbard made second team all conference in the Western Big Six.

The volleyball team had a great season of 21-13-2. They finished their season losing to Streator in their first regional game but the team was very successful throughout the entirety of the season and accomplished many of their own goals.

The boys cross country team is full of very strong runners bringing them to many wins. They placed first in their regional invite and then they placed fourth advancing them to state for the first time as a team since 2016. Senior Parker Janssen said, “They had great depth this year and Dale Johnson was a great leader.” He also says that “we performed very well and we made state.”

The girls golf team finished the season with a 5-3 head to head record. Their team also placed 1st place in the Wyaton Hills meet as they performed very well that day. Sophomore Emily Schwingle won team MVP.

The girls poms team had many performances this year at the home football games. They did their performances during halftime of the football games. Many people enjoyed the performances. Senior Kirsten Workman shared, “We performed well and we had a great last performance.”

The football team fought a good fight with a season record of 5-6 and 4-2 in the Western Big Six conference. After a interview with head coach Jon Schlemmer about whether the season was successful or not, he said “[t]hey all are. Sometimes you do reach all your goals but that in no way means that the season was a disappointment.” 

The girls swimming team steamrolled the season with a record with 8 wins in head-to-head meets and three times on the podium for tournaments. They had a very successful season with all the wins. 

The girls tennis team was going back to back with a record of 10-10. They finished the season losing to Dixon but they fought a very hard game. They had two girls attended state: senior Layla Tablante and junior Elanor Aitken. 

The girls cross country team gaining many personal bests with three 1st places, one second, and one third. They finished their season with fifth place at the IHSA sectional meet. Senior Rhylee Wade made it to state and made a personal best of 19.00.7 

All in all the fall sports have had fun and successful seasons this year. We hope to see the same results next year and hope all the athletes are happy with their seasons. Now it’s onto our fall sports!

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.