New leaders for band

With much newness, the 2023 Sterling High School marching band relied on the support of their leaders. This year for S.H.S. Band there are three drum majors. They are seniors Chavela Quintana and Diego Zaragoza and junior Rileigh Wren, who were chosen by band director Eric O’berg.

All three of these drum majors have been participating in marching band since their freshman year. These three drum majors have also never been drum majors before, so they are experiencing many new responsibilities together.

Responsibilities Zaragoza had to adjust to are “directing the band, helping new freshmen, refreshing marching skills for those who have forgotten,” said Zaragoza. He has enjoyed having this leadership to help the band and ensure that they are sounding the very best.

To add on, Quintana “needs to keep the band students in line and focused and take over the class whenever Mr. O’berg needs them to.” This helps the band to remain focused on their music so they can keep improving their sounds for the specific songs.

To decide drum majors, it is the “process of several workshops with the use of commands, there is a written application, then signing off to understand all of the expectations, and then they need to conduct the band” shared Oberg. There are many different steps they have to go through to get the position.

All of the drum majors enjoy the leadership being drum major gives them. Quintana and Wren like that they can make more personal connections with fellow students rather than just the student in their clarinet or alto saxophone section.

When leading the band on the podium, they feel pressure with others relying on them so much. Wren has a hard time knowing she has to step away from playing her saxophone to conduct the band because she loves playing her instrument with the rest of the band. The drum majors aren’t able to play during rehearsals because they are directing the band.

When Wren decided to audition she “wanted to try and take a leadership position for my music passion and experience for a college band.” She felt it would benefit her for her hopeful future with music. Zaragoza, however, found inspiration to audition after seeing them in the parades and football games.

Zaragoza, Wren, and Quintana were all inspired to audition for the role of drum major’s because they looked up to the previous drum majors. They try their best to resemble and conduct themselves how past drum majors did, because they had a good balance between fun and strict.

This year’s drum majors have learned lots of ways to lead the band and are always willing to help others before getting themselves ready for rehearsals.

$50
$500