Stepping up your student section game

S.H.S.+students+do+a+chant+to+the+opposing+team.+Students+came+together+to+the+volleyball+game+against+Newman+High+School.+
S.H.S. students do a chant to the opposing team. Students came together to the volleyball game against Newman High School.

As the fall sports continue, students are motivated to come to games and join the student sections. Our student sections are meant to cheer on our athletes during their games. As the years go on, the student section has become 

• Always making sure to dress with the theme/changing the themes up

Many students do not dress for the theme, whether it is country,  jersey, or even zoo. A good way to change the theme is changing some of the older ones up. Adding themes like superhero vs. villains, tie-dye, gold out, Disney characters, spy/secret service, and Minions can be great alternatives to the themes that have been done every year. Changing it up can encourage students to try dressing up for a new theme that can interpret how each student wants to dress. 

• Advertising games better 

Students are encouraged to advertise their games more often. Posting about the games a few days ahead can give students enough time to make time to come to the game and support the athletes. Printing posters will allow students to see when the games are without seeing posts online. The poster can include information like when, where, and what the theme is. Students can use Canva templates to create the poster. 

• Participating in the chants/cheering on the team.

Participating in the chants brings up the energy in the room, chant allows you to be involved in the game, throwing off the opponents, and ultimately having fun! Many students don’t cheer on the team, cheering lets the team know that we are there to support, so it’s important to pay attention to the game! Remember it is okay to cheer and there is no reason to be shy. 

Students and staff also have input to add to the student section. 

“We always need more people there and if people do go, cheer! Don’t sit up and be quiet, what is the point?” said senior Dylan Ottens. 

Throughout the years our student section has never been perfect. 

Former student Taylor Jackson says, “When I was in high school, the student section was similar in size. I don’t feel like we did many themes, it was usually just blue & gold themed.”

There are still positive outcomes from the student section, like favorite themes and traditions at S.H.S. 

Senior Emily Lofgren said, “My favorite part of the student section is how us seniors get to be in front, leading all the younger students. It is very fun being all together in one loud environment.” 

Teachers also have their favorite moments in the student section. 

“My favorite part of the student section was when they chanted “Put in Paufve” because I was busy warming up the bench in basketball season,” said social studies teacher and alumni Dan Paufve. 

It is always great to come out and join your fellow students to cheer on our golden warrior teams.  

$50
$500