S.H.S. cheerleaders pump up the crowd

S.H.S. students enjoy coming to S.H.S. sporting events where many cheers are chanted. During football games, football players and cheerleaders can’t be a part of their own student section so there are fewer students in the student section. For volleyball, a lot more students are able to attend to show support because none of the football players are a part of the volleyball team. 

In order to invigorate the crowd, Sterling cheerleaders enjoy learning chants and teaching them to the student section during football season. It gives the cheerleaders a lot of excitement to see everyone join in and be a part of the cheers. For this year, a new cheer the cheerleaders hope for the student section to learn is “Do It.” The cheerleaders will say “do it” and then students will dance. Then the cheerleaders will call “STOP,” say a grade and then you jump around and cheer! 

Some of the other favorite chants include “Alli-gator alligator alligator eat em up, eat em up,”  “When we say Sterling, you say Warriors,” “Do it,” “Scooby-doo,” “Ei ei ei o,” and “Let’s go Warriors let’s go.”

Of course it is not just up to the cheerleaders to bring spirit to the crowd.

Senior Emily Lofgren said, “I believe that all should participate in the student section cheering because the cheering gets the players hyped and when everyone is cheering together it makes the stadium a happier environment. There isn’t much else to do during a football game so cheer! It’s more fun when everyone is involved. We also love cheering with the cheerleaders doing ‘Alligator’ cheer along with the Scooby dooby dooby doo.”

The cheerleaders take pride in their role in motivating the crowd and players.

Senior Hailey Bielema said, “My favorite student section cheers would have to be ‘Alligator’ and ‘EI-Ei-Ei-O’ because they get the student section loud and are the most fun to do.” 

Senior Macie Brady added, “There are three cheers that I believe you need to know in order to get the crowd going. Those three are ‘Alligator,’ ‘EI-EI-EI-O,’ and ‘When we say Sterling.’ I think that these are very important because they involve the crowd and get them very excited, especially our student section. As soon as we involve the student section in our cheers, they get more invested in the game.”

If you’re indecisive about coming to the student section, don’t! It is always a fun experience and great part of your high school experience.

$50
$500