Lucas Austin sets the new scoring record

Previous leader Joseph Bertrand ’09 with the new leading scorer Lucas Austin ’24

On February 6, 2024, senior Lucas Austin made S.H.S. history, becoming the all-time scorer for boys basketball. 

The Golden Warriors were playing at Galesburg and seeking their 20th win. Meanwhile, Austin was going for 20 points to set the all-time record passing, Joseph Bertrand ‘09. 

Austin now holds the record at 1537 points and should hold it for a long time!

Austin shares that “holding this record means a lot to [him]. It reflects on [his] commitment to improving everyday and all the memories my teammates and I have created along the way.” 

After surpassing the scoring record, the Golden Warriors hosted United Township for a conference game and Austin was then recognized for his accomplishment. Bertrand sent in a video which was played on the big screen and congratulated Austin and talked about the old memories they had with each other. 

Head Coach Ryan Vasquez knew coming into the season that breaking the record was in Austin’s path but stated that “[he] and Luke never talked about the record. However we all knew that he wanted to accomplish that before leaving S.H.S.”

Tons of effort went into receiving this achievement. Austin explains how “a lot went into setting this record, consistently going to the gym to improve my shot and other skills and constantly competing with my teammates at practice.”  finishing the season Lucas Austin holds the record with 1537 points and his teammate Andre Klaver following right behind him with 1435 points.

$50
$500