Entertainment Review: “Bye Bye Barry”

On November 20, 2023, there was a documentary released about Barry Sanders. The documentary is called “Bye Bye Barry” and it is available to watch on Amazon Prime Video. 

Barry Sanders was a NFL Hall of Fame running back on the Detroit Lions from 1989 to 1998. He was drafted with the third overall pick in the 1989 NFL draft and he played college football for the Oklahoma State Cowboys. Sanders had a career total of 15,269 rushing yards in the NFL and 99 rushing touchdowns. He has been known as one of the best running backs in the history of the NFL.

In the documentary, a lot of former players that played with Barry Sanders shared their experience and memories with Barry Sanders and how he affected not only the team, but how he also affected his community and city. 

Many people, including Detroit Lions fans, enjoyed this documentary. 

Senior Zach Willis says that this was “very interesting and enjoyable to watch.” He also states that “it showed how much Barry meant to the city of Detroit.” 

Barry Sanders was a very humble player who only cared about team success. He never tried to make things about himself and that was highlighted in this documentary. 

Barry Sanders retired a little early into his career which left many fans questioning why he retired. In the documentary he explains why he hung up the cleats early. 

Sanders said “For me, just that thing that drove me to play, which is that passion, just wasn’t there.” He also says that he felt “there was nothing really left to play for.” 

Barry Sanders was known well for how fast and shifty he was as a runner. Teammate Herman Moore says that “when Barry had the ball, he was like a superhero.” Many other celebrities also talk about Barry Sanders on the show including Bill Belichick, Calvin Johnson, Eminem, Jalen Rose, Emmitt Smith, and many others. 

In the end Barry Sanders retired early, but the impact he left on the field for the Detroit Lions and the other players will never be forgotten.

$50
$500