• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

SHS Publications welcomes 2023 editorial staff

SHS 2023 Editorial Staff 1st row (l-r): Maddie Malooly, Peyton McCafferty, Audrey Crisp, Addison Andrews, Mirabella Pyron, Alivia Ruffin, Adylynn Crandall, Makenzi Borton, and Olivia Melcher 2nd Row: Victoria Nguyen, Carlee Hawkins, Gavin Fischer, Miles Nawrocki, Yamaan Alkhalaf, Laney Zuithoff, Abby Fuller, Maggie Wittenaur, and Marley Sechrest 3rd Row: Kendyll Anderson, Jubraan Alkhalaf, Emma Sinn, Maddison Wickham, Kadielynn Nelson,and Yana Ibarra Not Pictured: Michelle Henderson Bellows

Creating the yearbook and newspaper for Sterling High School is a complicated and time-consuming process. In order to help guide the process, Sterling High School’s publications class starts out the new school year with assigning of editor positions. Publications has editors to give students a little more responsibility and to ease Mrs. Drew’s workload. Publications has five different kinds of editorial positions: Photo, Name, Design, Copy, and Co-Editor-in-Chief. Overall there is a total of 26 people amongst the five different editorial positions   

To be a design, photo, or name editor, students have to apply for the job. You are to write a brief paragraph as to why you would like to be that editor and what qualifications you have. To become a copy editor you take a “test” and fix the grammar and spelling mistakes within a piece of writing. 

To be a co-editor-in-chief you have to be a senior who has been a part of publications for at least a year. Publications Teacher Jennifer Drew is the one who decides who all the editors are. She “tries to think about what the needs of the class are and balance that with the strength of the students who are applying.”

Photo editors are in charge of making the best photography choices for the yearbooks. They make sure people are taking the best photos possible to use for the yearbook and Instagram page. This year the publication staff is welcoming four new photo editors: Sophomore Maggie Wittenaur, Junior Emma Sinn, Seniors Yamaan Alkhalaf, and Miles Nawrocki. 

Name editors are in charge of making sure everyone’s name is spelt correctly in the yearbook as well as making sure everyone is named in the yearbook. This year Publications is welcoming Senior Yana Ibarra and Sophomore Maddison Wickham as the name editors. 

Design editors make sure every spread looks cohesive and follows the template and guidelines put into place. Publications has a total of five design editors in total including juniors Kendyll Anderson, Marley Sechrest, Kadielynn Nelson, Maddie Malooly, and Addison Andrews. 

Copy editors are a crucial part to the publications staff. They make sure that everything is spelt correctly as well as having correct grammar, in the yearbook and the newspaper website. This year there are 12 copy editors amongst the two classes. The editors are sophomores Laney Zuithoff, Adylynn Crandall, Carlee Hawkins, and Gavin Fischer, juniors Victoria Nguyen, Jubraan Alkhalaf, Peyton McCafferty, Audrey Crisp, and Aliva Ruffin, and seniors Olivia Melcher, Makenzi Borton and Abby Fuller.    

Co-editor-in-chief have the biggest job. These editors oversee all positions and have a final say on everything that has to do with the yearbook. They have to manage their work as well as oversee all things that occur. They are there to encourage yearbook staff to work and to make sure everything is cohesive. This year’s co-Editor-in-Chiefs are seniors Michelle Henderson Bellows and Mirabella Pyron. 

Senior Mirabella Pyron has been a member of publications since her sophomore year because she has “always had an interest in photography, design, and [she] got to improve her journalism skills.” She “really liked the environment that Mrs. Drew created in the classroom” through the past three years. Pyron decided to become a co-Editor-in Chief this year because she thought “it would be fun to play a bigger role in the yearbook since it is [her] last year, [she] wanted to be able to make some bigger design choices and help other students out”

This year will be amazing with all the different staff. Each and every person has something they can bring to the class to make this year completely different then the last. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.