• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Prom on a Budget

Prom season can be a very stressful time for many people. For girls, the financial stress is a little harder because they have to find a dress, heels, get their hair and make-up done, and some girls get a spray tan, but there are several cheaper alternatives to help them stay on budget this prom season. 

To start, they can buy a dress from someone else whether it’s a friend, family member, or Facebook marketplace. Buying a resale dress is a much cheaper option because they don’t have to pay full price for a dress you will only wear once or twice. Senior Hailey Bielema says “By selling my dress to my friend Kendyll she was able to get a prom dress for $100 compared to most dresses that are typically over $300, and I was able to get money back to use for my prom.”

When getting ready for prom many girls get their hair and makeup done, as well as a spray tan. Though it is a lot more fun to go get those things done, if they are looking for a cheaper alternative they can always do it themselves. “A reason why I like to do my own hair is because I could fix it when I needed to, and know exactly what I want. As for someone doing my hair could do something I didn’t like and I would have to pay for it even if I didn’t like it” says junior Kaitlyn Taylor. Practicing their makeup weeks in advance so it looks as good as a make-up artist is a cheaper alternative and can look just as good. They can also practice the hairstyle you would like so you can do it yourself. 

For the guys prom is a lot easier. The only thing they really have to do is get a tux. If they don’t want to buy a brand new tux because they can be expensive, they can always rent one or borrow a tux from a friend or family member. 

Renting a tux can be a cheaper alternative than buying one brand new. Usually a tux is around $800. But renting one from places like Selmi’s is only $300.

“I chose to rent mine because it was cheaper and a better deal,” said senior Miles Nawrocki.

Prom season is very stressful and very expensive. Following these tips could make your prom a lot cheaper and a lot easier. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.