• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

S.H.S. cheerleaders bring back locker signs

S.H.S. cheerleaders decorate football players’ lockers before each game. This year, the cheerleaders post a new sign before each game.

As the new year of school starts, football locker signs have been hung up throughout the halls, all S.H.S. Cheerleaders make the signs each week for both varsity and jv football players. Varsity cheerleaders get 2 players for varsity while jv gets 4 each for the freshman and sophomore players.  

The past couple years the cheerleaders made just one sign for the entire football season. The decision to bring the weekly signs back was a really good addition to keep our school spirit up. 

Cheer coach Kiahanna Krause said “I’m all about S.H.S. tradition, when I was a cheerleader at S.H.S. I hand drew all the designs, so it’s really nice to have my cricket design now.” 

The signs consist of the opposing teams for the week using slogans like “Maul Metamora”, “Wreck Wheaton” and “Pulverize the Panthers.”  The signs are a really good way to encourage our players for the week.

Senior Justin Benson said “They are very encouraging for us, they show off the school spirit well.”

To be able to hear the feedback from the players is really important to us so we can know whether or not they want the signs up.    For example if the signs are constantly being removed after being put on, that’s a sign to us that we should not be putting them up.

Junior Avery Karrow added “I really enjoy seeing the signs each week, they are very much encouraging for us all.”

As for us cheerleaders it can be a stress to get the signs up by Tuesday each week. Although it is a good way for us cheerleaders to show our support, most girls on the team do not like the idea of doing it every week but, no matter what, we understand how important it is to show our support for our football team.

Senior varsity captain cheerleader Macie Brady added “I think locker signs is a good way to encourage and motivate the boys on game day.”

As the weeks go by, locker signs will continue to go up for the rest of the fall football season. As a S.H.S. cheerleader making the signs was somewhat stressful but also very fun in the making. As I continued to make the signs each week I got more creative and learned how to make them very neat. I hope the locker sign tradition continues as the years go on to encourage the players.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.