• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

S.H.S. Student Council begins Life Skills committee

Gavin Fischer
Freshman Jocelyn Pink assists a group member in a science experiment. The Life Skills class practiced the scientific method by making Skittles rainbows.

Of the many activities and events student council holds, monthly activities with the life skills classes is just one. In years before, there has been a single member in charge of planning and coordinating these activities. This year, student council has formed a life skills committee to help make operations run smoother.

The idea came to be as sophomores Gavin Fischer and Adylyn Crandall were having trouble developing these monthly activities alone. It was brought up during a student council meeting and the committee members were carefully selected. Fischer recalls the number one priority being “to pick hard working individuals in each grade level who were also active in student council.”

The committee is headed by Fischer and Crandall, who serve as chair and vice chair, respectively. Along with them are freshmen Jaz’Mya Castaneda and Sophie Pothoff, sophomore Carlee Hawkins, and junior Lisandra Calderon. 

Things have run much smoother with a committee dedicated to life skills events. Life skills teacher Karina Austin appreciates the committee’s “willingness and thoughtfulness when considering [her] life skills students.” 

So far this year, the life skills committee has successfully executed five different events, including games like scavenger hunts and science experiments like slime-making. The committee has also done events with the two Challand Middle School life skills classes, which is something that has never been done in years prior.

Later this month, the committee will be running a kickball tournament for both life skills teacher Pete Hill and Austin’s S.H.S. life skills classes. In May, the committee will be planning a field day for all life skills classes in the district, K-12; which they started planning in January.  

The committee has had nothing but positive feedback from other adults within the district involved with the life skills program. The district’s physical therapist Susanna Riley has played a major role in the planning of the committee’s field day, and has been beyond impressed by their “organizational prowess” and ability to “take leadership of something district wide.”

The life skills committee has had great success this year, and everyone is looking forward to seeing what else they are capable of.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.