FFA members compete

Senior+Brady+Shank+records+cow+weight.+
Senior Brady Shank records cow weight.

Section Proficiencies were held on February 7, at Stillman Valley High School where senior Brady Shank and sophomore Landon Kukowski competed against students from 13 other Section one schools. The proficiency competition focuses on students’ Supervised Agricultural Experiences (SAEs) and the records that they keep on them. 

At Section Proficiencies, Shank and Kukowski were called back into a room with four judges. These judges were scoring them based on their social skills, how formal they dress, their record books, and their overall presence during the interview. 

For the event, Kukowski prepared his record book and made it more detailed.

“I have been adding some journal entries to make my book have more depth,” Kukowski comments. His record book is under the category of “Wildlife Management” and for his project he managed the “Asian Carp Population” by bowfishing at night on the Illinois River.

As Kukowski focused more on details, Shank has been more focused on “studying [his] information that is needed for the interview, making sure everything is in tip-top shape and professional.” Shank’s record book, on Beef & Forage Production, included managing upwards of 500 head of cattle and producing forage to feed them all. 

In preparation for section the boys kept in mind that it was important to have all of their records detailed and grammatically correct. For the interview process, they needed to make sure they are punctual, presentable, and well spoken. FFA advisor Megan Stanley helped the boys prepare for section by “spending hours sorting through record books to make sure they are detailed and accurate, align to the rubric and free of any errors.” 

While proficiencies can be stressful it was also a great opportunity for the boys to share what they have been working hard on to become successful. 

The boys also needed to keep in mind that it was a fun and educational experience that not all get to compete in and they are rather lucky and are now preparing for state.

$50
$500