Group Interpretation begins their 25th season

With the competitive theatre season coming up, it is time for S.H.S. to host auditions for the esteemed Group Interpretation (GI) team. This team has made the state competition for 25 consecutive years and has won the state championship one time, in 2005. Head coach Tim Schlegel and assistant coach Weston Henry will continue to lead the team this year.

This year’s GI team will perform a 30-minute production of Julia Walton’s novel “Words on Bathroom Walls.” This novel, which was later turned into an Amazon Prime exclusive film, is based on a teenage boy named Adam, who will be portrayed by junior Ashton Stange. Adam is a 17-year-old high school senior who is diagnosed with schizophrenia. After experiencing his first breakdown in his chemistry class, he struggles to keep faith. Adam also is secretly falling in love with one of his classmates who sees the good in him and inspires him to open up and not be defined by his condition.

As coaches, Schlegel and Henry are in charge of deciding each year’s performance. Schlegel mentions that they chose this particular production due to its “compelling story that creates visual scenes and [have everyone] feel confident [that it] will attract positive comments.” 

This year’s competitive theater season also brings a new level of nerves. It was announced in 2023 that the IHSA Drama and Group Interpretation sectionals and state competition will be hosted between Sterling High School and Challand Middle School, respectively. While this does provide the team with a “home turf advantage,” it will also cause an extra layer of pressure from coaches.

The pressure to cast members has them preparing with minimal time. Sophomore Morelia Vargas explains how “[she has] to be open-minded and ready to try something new during each practice. [She] also [plans] to work on [her] material outside of rehearsal.”

With this complex show and the insane protocol put upon group interpretation, the team is eyeing a successful and exciting season.

Cast of Group Interpretation

Ashton Stange, Adam

Avery Moran, Maya/Ensemble

Kaitlyn Moore, Beth/Ensemble

Henry Oberg, Paul/Ensemble

Gavin Fischer, Juaquin/Ensemble

Morelia Vargas, Jessica/Ensemble

Owen Gaffey, Priest/Ensemble

Cory McGowan, Sister Catherine/Ensemble

Rileigh Wren, Musician/Ensemble

Kyle Hutchison, Ensemble

Jocelyn Pink, Ensemble

$50
$500