• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Entertainment Review: “Mean Girls” 2024

I’m sure most of us have heard about the new “Mean Girls” movie that recently came out. The movie puts its own twist on the original movie, as it is a musical, following scenes from the “Mean Girls” the musical. Personally, I enjoyed the movie and I think it was well made, but a lot of people disagree. The original “Mean Girls” movie is one of a kind classic, and loved by millions, so the new movie had a lot to live up to.  

The movie stars Renee Rapp as Regina George, Avantika Vandanapu as Karen, Bebe Wood as Gretchen Weiners, and Angourie Rice as Cady Heron. Another actor that a lot of us might recognize is Christopher Briney who plays Conrad in “The Summer I Turned Pretty.” Briney plays Aaron Samuels. 

I think Renee was a great choice for Regina. She embodied her fake nice persona very well and looks relatively similar to Regina. Avantika, who played Karen also embodied her very well. She knew just how to play off her dim-witted and flirty personality. 

The 2024 version of” Mean Girls” made sure to include the most important scenes, such as when Regina was hit by a bus, but they will never live up to the original scenes.  A lot of people also argue that the actresses in the movie did not sing the songs in the movie half as well as the Broadway actresses. The movie included the songs of “Stupid with Love,” “Meet the Plastics,” “Sexy,” “Someone Gets Hurt,” “What’s Wrong With Me,” “Apex Predator,” “What Ifs,” and “A Cautionary Tale.” 

The movie’s main message they are trying to portray is “the importance of kindness and valuing the voices of your fold of friends over the criticism of others.”

Sophomore Abby Ryan said, “I was pretty engaged the whole time, so it kept me entertained and it was funny. I would probably watch it again.” 

I think this movie is a hit or miss depending on the person, some may really like the musical twist they put on it, and some prefer just the original. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.