Future Educator Club comes to S.H.S.

Current and future educators within Sterling Public School pose for a .5 photo. There were roughly 20 educators in attendance.

Throughout recent years, Sterling Public Schools, like schools across the nation, has seen a large shortage of instructional staff members. With positions open constantly, assistant superintendent Dr. Sara Dail and S.H.S. librarian Heather Johnson felt the responsibility to address this situation. Their approach to a solution is forming S.H.S.’s first Future Educator Club (FEC) consisting of students interested in pursuing a career within the educational field. FEC does not apply to future teachers. It also involves future social workers, pediatric nurses, and other positions that involve children within their career.

On January 5, FEC hosted their first annual educator winter social event. This social consisted of retired, current, and future educators that attended or currently attend Sterling High School. 

In addition to the social aspect of the event, the club advisors also hosted a contract signing for the next science teacher at Challand Middle School, Whitnie Garriot, who is an alumni of S.H.S. 

Johnson remembers how “it was so great to visit with former students who are both teaching and preparing to teach, as well as [her] colleagues, whose experiences are different from [her] own.” 

When planning ahead, the advisors hope to see more current students attend the annual event, as co-president of Future Educator Club Gavin Fischer was the only attendee besides the numerous retired and current educators.

After completing the club’s event, Dail and Johnson are excited to start planning the next events for the club. Dail will be inviting two club members to attend the Illinois State University and Northern Illinois University instructional job fairs. This will make S.H.S. the first school to have a student attend a recruitment fair. Johnson shared that something is “in the works with Sterling Township and their new youth center.”

Ultimately, Future Educator Club is a great opportunity for S.H.S. students interested in pursuing a career within education or child services.

$50
$500