Softball prepares for 23-24 season

After going 24-12 this past season, the Golden Warriors softball team brings back a strong starting lineup even after losing four seniors. The Golden Warriors took second in the Western Big 6 going 11-3 for conference games and advancing as far as super-sectionals. For the upcoming 23-24 season, Coach Donnie Dittmar currently has pre-season workouts every Monday and Thursday happening up until January that are welcome to all new and returning players. Dittmar was named SVM coach of the year after his first year in the head coach position. 

Open gyms will start at the end of January going into February where we typically start getting used to one another for all the new faces and getting some hitting and fielding reps in. Open gyms consist of live pitching and hitting, fielding, and fundamental drills to get everyone ready for the season. Open gyms are not only for coaches, but a way for players to also see one another’s skill set along with potential teammates that they’ll be playing alongside come time for the actual season.

The first official practice for the 23-24 season is February 27, which also means for those players that play on travel teams this will be the last day of contact that is allowed between the two. After the first couple practices is when teams will be official and uniform handout will follow shortly after. 

The Golden Warriors have 36 games scheduled, and the first game will take place at home on March 22 at 4:30 against Oregon. The Golden Warriors have a strong starting lineup this year including seniors Sienna Stingley and Olivia Melcher, juniors Kaity Taylor, Carley Sullivan, Marley Sechrest, and sophomores Mya Lira and Lilianna Cantu. There are also some potential underclassmen that could also be pulled up to the varsity level as well. 

Senior Sienna Stingley said, “I’m really excited about this upcoming season. We’ve got a lot of strong players returning, as well as some new kids that are solid. We should be able to be very competitive this year with all the talent we are going to have.” Stingley carried the Warriors this past season in pitching with 244 strikeouts.

Sophomore Lilianna Cantu adds, “I am excited for the new faces, more people I can associate with and now that my sister is in high school I am excited to play with her as well. I am also really happy about the new lights and bathrooms added to our fields.” 

Junior Kaitlyn Taylor says she is “excited to be back out on the turf and playing under the lights.” Taylor played middle infield last season.

Her sister, freshman Rosie Cantu, also adds, “I am pretty excited for this season because I have been watching Lily’s games last year and I’ve been waiting to play at the high school level.” 

This upcoming season will definitely be an exciting one as senior Sienna Stingley leads her team at a last chance to make it to state.

$50
$500