S.H.S. holds auditions for the spring musical

The audition process has begun for this year’s spring musical: Disney’s “Newsies.” “Newsies” is based on a true story of the Newsboys Strike of 1899 in New York City; however, the stage production adds new characters and plotlines for a more entertaining story.

In the musical, Jack Kelly is a charismatic newsboy and dedicated leader of a group of young “newsies.” When the powerful individuals in newspaper publishing raise their distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack rallies newsies from across New York City to strike against the unfair conditions and fight for what’s right.

“Newsies” is most notable for their male-heavy cast size. This factor was very important to the production team while picking this show. Director Tim Schlegel and Music Director Weston Henry are responsible for choosing each year’s spring musical. A way to get more male involvement was allowing students from Challand Middle School to participate in auditions, and eventually the show. Seventh and eighth were only allowed to audition if they were a part of the choir program. Sixth grade requirements were for them to be in the choir program and have been in a musical with Woodlawn Arts Academy.

Auditions for the production began on November 28, with singing and acting. Music Director Weston Henry shares that he looks for students “who come in and go get it, singing with confidence and trust in themselves.” Considering “Newsies” is a musical with large songs, Henry went on to say that he needed students who “use their nerves as adrenaline and not as something that holds them back. [Newsies] calls for that because the vocals are so powerful.”

With the cast list expected to release in the coming weeks before winter break, auditioners remain curious about the results. Senior Ben Boze explains that he “is trying to stay calm while waiting for the cast list.” One method of calming comes from junior Cory McGowan, who says she “keeps [herself] occupied by watching shows, reading, and other things to keep busy.” 

Director Tim Schlegel seems very excited for the intense rehearsal process that this show will bring. With Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” coming before “Newsies” and “Mean Girls: The Musical” planned after, Schlegel says he has “a good support team which helps make shows a true success.”

While we may not have a cast list, it is still best to plan your visit to watch this show. “Newsies” will open on February 23 at 7:00 p.m. with the following performances on February 24 at 7:00 p.m. and February 25 at 2:00 p.m. All performances take place in S.H.S.’s Centennial Auditorium.

$50
$500