• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

S.H.S. takes over social media

There has recently been a rise in school-affiliated social media accounts. Whether it is a club, sport, or therapy dog, S.H.S. has an account for it.

Student Council advisor Nicole Schlemmer runs the Instagram account for the distinguished club. Schlemmer feels that “social media accounts are a great way to update the community, staff, students, and family of SPS happenings.” Schlemmer utilizes social media to not only share reminders to club members, but also to show parents and other students what the club is doing. 

Senior Emily Lofgren manages the girl’s swim and dive Instagram account. This newly-creatd account displays the team’s accomplishments and highlights throughout the season. Lofgren uses the account to “[share their] success because there are very few swimmers on the girls swim team and when we are undefeated in duals, [and] that is something to share.”

On Twitter, coach Tyler Gaumer owns the account for girl’s track and field. The only flaw he’s seen on Twitter is the decline in interest for the social media platform. He keeps in mind that “staying current with the population that you are trying to reach is both valuable and difficult as [he has] progressed throughout [his] coaching career.”

Also on Twitter is home of the cheerleading social media. Run by Hailey Bielema, this account gives us an insight to cheer practices and the ways they represent the football team. Bielema says that throughout her four years in high school, “more sports and clubs have started using social media to raise awareness and to show what they are all about.”

Facebook is home to all the pictures of SPS’s therapy dogs. Counselor Cami Hartman has worked in the district for a while. She explains that “when [she] started at SHS, we did not have much presence on social media. That has increased tremendously. We use it to showcase our students, athletes, theater, etc. as well as to communicate with parents and families.”

Throughout the year, we use social media as a form of communication, awareness, and expression. It is exciting to see what each team, athletic, or academic group is doing throughout the year.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.