Entertainment Review: “Heartstopper” Season 2

On August 3rd, the highly-anticipated second season of Heartstopper was released on Netflix. “Heartstopper,” for those who live under a rock, is a UK-based show depicting the young romance between leads Nick (played by Kit Connor), and Charlie (played by Joe Locke). The series follows themes of self discovery, friendship, love, recovering from mental illness, and finding your own pocket of joy in the world. The diverse cast and the passion they put into the show make it so everyone can feel excited by it, as well as relate themselves or people they know to it. 

The Netflix series is an adaptation based on the webtoon and graphic novels published by Alice Oseman, a talented writer who scored her first publishing deal at only 17. “Heartstopper” was the first of her novels that Oseman had adapted, and to ensure the spirit of the story carried through to the show she took on the challenge of screenwriting for it.

“Heartstopper” goes beyond being another romance series; it’s a narrative that explores the hurdles encountered by LQBTQ+ individuals, especially during their adolescent years. The series has established itself as a symbol of inclusivity, offering relatable material for the community and promoting acceptance and normalizing LGBTQ+ couples across a wider spectrum of viewers. Most importantly, it’s a story that will make you laugh, cry, and everything in between. The show doesn’t entirely focus on the love story between two men, also showing the normal parts of every high school relationship. 

It’s “an accurate representation of young LGBTQ+ youth and is a romance without tragedy, which has become rare,” said senior Mackenzie Jordan.

When in need of a new show to binge on a late summer night, you need look no further than heartstopper. And if the two seasons aren’t enough for you, the graphic novels and webtoon are great options to tide you over until season three!

$50
$500