• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

March Students of the Month

Seniors Emma Anderson and Servando Diaz

The S.H.S. Student of the Month program is designed to recognize student achievement and to showcase accomplishments for those who have shown their diligence. The individuals who are selected are those that have academically challenged themselves, participated in extracurricular activities/athletics, and displayed themselves as a leader. Seniors Servando Diaz and Emma Anderson have been selected for March Student of the Month.

Diaz has accumulated a grade point average (GPA) of 4.229. He has taken many advanced classes that S.H.S offers. This includes Algebra 1, Accelerated English 2, Accelerated Algebra 2, Accelerated Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, AP Human Geography, AP Lang. and Comp., AP Chemistry, AP United States History, AP Lit. and Comp., AP Calculus AP US Government and Politics, and AP Psychology. 

Outside of School, Diaz has participated in boys tennis, marching and pep band, robotics, Guerreros Unidos, National Honor Society, Key Club, and Travel Club.

Diaz has shown leadership positions such as being the tennis team varsity captain and as a Robotics programmer, builder, and driver. He also has honors and awards such as the AP Scholar Award, National Honor Society Certificate, Rotary Award Certificate, Honor Roll, SHS Academic Award Recipient, and the University of Illinois System Salute to Academic Achievement. 

Diaz’s future plans include going to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign with a focus of pursuing a career in the field of information sciences and a secondary major in business.

Anderson was also selected for Student of the Month. Anderson has earned a GPA of 4.250 over her years at S.H.S. She has taken many advanced classes including AP Human Geography, AP US History, AP Lang. and Comp., AP Biology, AP Lit. and Comp., AP Psychology, and AP Statistics. She has honors and achievements including being an AP Scholar and being in the National Honor Society. 

Outside of school, Anderson participates in FFA, National Honor Society, cross country, track, and Key Club. In FFA, she has gotten the Discovery Degree, Greenhand Degree, and the Chapter Degree. She was also a greenhand and chapter officer. In cross country, Anderson was fresh./soph. most improved in 2020 and she is a part of the WB6 Academic All-Conference. She is also a two-time varsity track athlete.  

Anderson has done volunteer work for the FFA Chapter while also doing volunteer work for her family friend on a farm. She has taken care of plants in our school’s greenhouse and she has volunteered for the National Honor Society.

Anderson enjoys going on runs and participating on the track and cross country distance teams as well as spending time with her family and dogs. She also enjoys playing the guitar and listening to music. After high school, Anderson plans on attending a four year university to pursue a career within law and public safety. She finds great interest in becoming a conservation officer.

Both Diaz and Anderson have strived to become the best, proving that they deserve this award. They are on the road to success after exceeding the expectations they set for themselves.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.