Scholastic Bowl performs well with new coach

S.H.S.’s Scholastic Bowl team is in the middle of their season, led by first-year head coach Nicole Schlemmer. 

New to scholastic bowl, Schlemmer prepared herself for the season by researching and studying how to prepare her students for matches. She used “a variety of materials like the NAQT (National Academic Quiz Tournaments).”

Just like any team, practice is a necessary component. Schlemmer prepared their team well as she got the team into plenty of practice matches which has made the Scholastic Bowl team perform better in competitive matches.

The team hopes to do well at sectionals so that they can qualify for the state competition.

Senior Yamaan Alkhalaf said, “Our goal is to win every game by using the unique knowledge that each team member possesses.” 

Schlemmer says the members of her team “are all truly amazing and all ten of them bring something different to the table as far as specialty areas of knowledge.” Members of the team include seniors Lainey Block, Diego Zaragoza, Ashden Kelly, Yamaan Alkhalaf, Zaden Westbrook, and Joseph Humphrey; juniors Jubraan Alkhalaf, Lisandra Calderon, and Lindsey O’Brien; and freshman Jacob Straw. All ten of these individuals serve as key players. 

Schlemmer shares that some things they can improve on is communication during bonus (teamwork) questions and gaining confidence when an answer is known, but the team is hesitant to “buzz in.” It can be hard to gain confidence when playing against suburban schools that have placed at state every year. However, Schlemmer has enough trust in her players to improve.

Senior Diego Zaragoza shares, “This season has gone well overall with the guidance of Mrs. Schlemmer and with the variety of subjects that the team members know, we formed a solid team.”

Schlemmer also comments that this has been a great first year for herself and the team. She enjoys getting to know some of the players that she hasn’t had as a teacher. She also says that the “competition has been fun and our team has bonded throughout all of the bus travels and food stops.” 

The Scholastic Bowl team will attend the IHSA Regional on Monday, March 4. In the current season, the team holds a record of 13-11.  

$50
$500