STUCO update

STUCO+gathers+fro+thanksgiving+potluck.+The+club+gathers+during+holidays+to+enjoy+time+together.+
STUCO gathers fro thanksgiving potluck. The club gathers during holidays to enjoy time together.

Student council had a busy first semester as they do most years. The club planned homecoming and all the activities that occur during homecoming week like assemblies, picnic, bonfire, numbers ball, and dress up days.

The club also has monthly visits to Parkway Nursing Home. Members get a chance to do crafts or play games with the residents of Parkway. This year members organized a committee to ensure visits are smooth and well organized. Junior Payton Ottens stated, “I enjoy connecting with the residents and hearing all the stories about their life.”

There is also another committee that organizes activities with the life skill classes. Members get a chance to know life skill students while playing games or doing crafts. 

A couple of members from STUCO headed to Byron for the NWD Leadership Conference. During the conference students were able to learn ways to improve their public speaking, ways to unite their community and how to build trust with others. Advisor Nicole Schlemmer stated, “I would say a second favorite activity was the NWD Leadership Conference in Byron – it was really fun to watch our students interact with students from other schools and learn how to step out of their comfort zones and develop lifelong leadership skills.” 

Members also had the chance to go to Franklin Elementary school to help assist teachers with Halloween and holiday parties. 

During the holiday season before finals members organize dress up days so students can have fun before finals. There is also a school wide cookie handout where members of the club pass out cookies to all students and staff in the building. 

The Student Council schedule had a wide range of activities in the first semester but the club united and had a very smooth and exciting first semester.  

Moving Forward 

STUCO doesn’t just stop the first semester as the club continues to plan fun activities for the rest of the year. 

Members still do monthly Parkway and Life skill hang outs. Along with this, the club organizes a Crazy for a Cure event during a home basketball game. The club raffles various items that are donated and honors those who are currently battling or have beat cancer. 

A school wide movie night where students can enjoy a free movie with friends on the field. 

President Lelaina Block said, “We expect to continue working with the life skills classes and collaborating with other clubs. We’re also planning activities like movie nights and ways to thank first responders or other members of the community.” 

Make sure to keep an eye out during second semester for different activities STUCO may have instore.  

$50
$500