• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Cheerleaders host Kiddie Camp

“Warriors cheerleaders came and made their fearless debut into their cheer era! We know all too well that the Golden Warriors had a reputation of having fun! Long story short, it was a bejeweled event that will never go out of style!” 

The S.H.S. cheerleaders had a cheer camp and the age ranges from anywhere from preschool to 8th graders for this fun event. It cost $25 including a fun cheer era shirt, and the three-day event located at Challand Middle School’s athletic gym. Throughout the week of October 16 – 18, we had fun themes for the kiddos! Monday was “Country western night,” Tuesday was “Lover era,” and Wednesday was “Let’s make the whole place shimmer.” 

Parent Nicole Schlemmer said, “I think it was worth the money – only $25 for 3 nights of cheer practice and skill building. Not to mention the fun my daughter had with her friends she hasn’t seen in awhile! She loved dressing in the Eras themes and performing at the game. I also loved watching her as I coached cheer and lead camps from 2011 – 2015 and I loved having my own daughter participate!”

On October 12, at S.H.S.’s Roscoe Eades Stadium, the S.H.S. cheerleaders led their age group of mini cheerleaders to perform their 30-second dance with a pose at the end. They got to learn one sideline cheer, a dance and play camp games! Preschool- 1st graders performed to “Shake it off” by Taylor Swift, 2nd – 4th graders “Calm Down” and 5th grade – 8th graders performed last to “End Game.”  

At Thursday’s practice, cheerleaders made Swiftie bracelets for each one of the kids that they could collect, trade, or give them away. The first day of camp was a little hectic in the beginning when everyone was signing in and finding their name tags. 

Senior Hailey Bielema shared, “I think the camp went overall well, with there being almost 300 kids who did it and we raised a lot of money for our team. I think all of the kids who came had a lot of fun, too. There were a lot of kiddos throughout every age group.”

I think this is a great way to get kids involved in cheer and a good way to have fun by meeting new friends and learning cheers. 

Assistant coach Amber Celletti added, “I think for about 300 kids the cheer camp was a success! I am a bit of a perfectionist so of course I can see all the things I would do differently. For the most part I was pleased. I had fun watching the kiddos!”

Overall the S.H.S. cheer camp was a success and it was a great experience and opportunity to raise money. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.