December Students of the Month

Seniors Samantha Feather and Blake Nettleton

The Sterling High School Student of the Month is the highest level of recognition for Sterling High School seniors. The students qualified for this recognition have continued to challenge themselves and take on leadership roles throughout high school. Samantha Feather and Blake Nettleton were awarded this for the month of December.

With a GPA of 4.18, Samantha Feather has taken a great amount of accelerated and AP courses. She has taken six different accelerated classes. Her AP courses consist of AP Human Geography, AP Language and Composition, AP Chemistry, and AP United States History. Some of her achievements include being a part of National Honor Society, Rotary Excellence Program, Honor Roll, and was recognized as November Student of the Month during her freshman year.  

She is a part of many school clubs and activities, while also volunteering in the community. She participated in tennis, group interpretation, contest play, musicals, madrigals/chambers, student council, Fellowship Christian Athlete Travel Choir, I Am Her, Band, Choir, and the fall play. For contest play, she got a unanimous judges choice award. She also dedicates her time to volunteer outside of school. Feather sings on her praise and worship team at church. When she is not singing at church, she is volunteering in the children’s ministry. She is also involved in National Honors Society, so whenever Mrs. Browne offers community service hours she takes that opportunity to give back within the community. 

Samantha Feather enjoys playing the piano, guitar, clarinet, and singing. Her friends and family are very important to her. Her favorite place to be is on stage, whether that means she is performing for the school or with her praise and worship team. She has been accepted to Belmont University, but she hopes to be accepted into their musical school. Feather wants to pursue a double major in music therapy and psychology. 

Throughout high school, Blake Nettleton has worked in order to get a 4.13 GPA. He has taken six AP courses with a mix of another six accelerated classes. Nettleton has been enrolled in Spanish all four years of high school. He has been awarded Academic All Conference for his good grades, as well as making the honor roll. He is also a part of Rotary. 

Sports have been a substantial part of his years in high school. He has played baseball all four years and received Academic All Conference and Honorable Mention All Area for baseball. Nettleton played chess for one year and has done swimming and basketball for two years. He got Preseason All Area Football, while playing football for 3 years.

In his free time, Blake volunteers and works around the community. He is a volunteer coach for Sterling Sharks. He works for Tom Lehman Construction. A couple of his hobbies are travel baseball and playing chess. In the future, Nettleton plans to attend a college and play baseball at that college. He doesn’t know what college he will attend. 

Both Samantha Feather and Blake Nettleton have proven that they are dedicated and hardworking in order to succeed. They are great examples of what a role model is. These two definitely deserved this honor of Student of the Month for December.