S.H.S.’s drum line led by female captain

Senior Josey Hagerman leads the drummers during a performance. Hagerman has been involved with the high school band all four years of high school.

Every fall, Sterling High School’s drumline echoes throughout Roscoe Eades Stadium. This year is different in that, for the first time in many years, this year’s drumline is led by a female drummer..

Senior Josey Hagerman has been playing percussion with Sterling Schools for seven years now. While there might typically be auditions for this leadership position, there was no audition process necessary because she was an obvious pick for the role. In her previous years of band, Hagerman always helped out and consistently shared her desire to be Drum Captain. 

A Drum Captain makes sure everyone in the percussion section of band is on task. Drum Captains also help organize sheet music and do any other task they can, but mainly it’s about being a leader. 

This is the first year of Hagerman in the role of drum captain, a position that is typically awarded to seniors. Current S.H.S. band director Erik Oberg believes that “there may have not been a female drum captain since the 90s.”  

Hagerman relishes her current role.

“I love being on the field and seeing improvement and how hard the band works. Sometimes things are said about me being the only current girl percussionist, especially as the drum captain, but it’s better to laugh it off at the end of the day,” shared Hagerman. 

In her position, Hagerman likes to keep her fellow percussionists in line and tries to stay positive. But most of all she wants to be a good role model. 

“Being an example for other young girls who were like me and scared to join is something that motivates me. I want to leave a difference if possible,” Hagerman shared.

$50
    $500