Introducing New SHS Teachers!!

Sterling High School welcomed some new staff members this 2022-2023 school year. Read here about all our new staff members and their backgrounds.

Matt Payton

1. Where did you go to college and what did you major in? 

I went to Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois. There I double majored in History and Education.

2. Did you participate in any clubs or sports in college? 

YES! I played football at Augie all four years and was a team captain my senior year. I was a member of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee for 3 years. In that club, I worked on the Mental Health Committee for 2 years! I also was a member of Camp Kesem for 2 years! I was the Co-Director of the “Make The Magic Fundraiser” for Camp Kesem my senior year. Finally, I was a member and leader of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes for 4 years as well.

3. Where is your hometown? 

I grew up in Sugar Grove, Illinois

4. If you’ve taught at other schools, where have you taught and for how many years? 

Sterling High School is my first school

5. Why did you choose to come to Sterling? 

I chose Sterling because of the unique opportunities that Sterling has to offer both its staff and its students. I thought it was a great district that had an amazing history of supporting its staff in reaching their goals as professional educators. Additionally, the opportunity to join the football coaching staff was an enticing factor.

6. What subject do you teach? 

I teach special education. I team-teach English 1 and Algebra 1 as well as lead a Current Events class.

7. Besides from a teacher, are you a coach or club leader here? 

I am currently a coach for the high school football team.

8. What’s the best advice you’ve been given about teaching ? 

“It’s always about the kids. No matter what you do, make sure it is something that the kids will benefit from.” – My Grandma

9. What is the best part of teaching? What is the hardest part of teaching? 

The best part of teaching is helping the students. While getting paid is cool, the real reward for teaching is making a kid’s day or seeing them when they have reached that “ah-ha” moment in a lesson.

10. What have you done to adjust to S.H.S. and our rules? 

Ask questions! I am lucky to be surrounded by knowledgeable and experienced staff members that have not only answered my questions when they arise but also reach out to me, to offer help when they can!

Jennifer Thueson 

Brigham Young University Idaho Minor in English

Ski Club

3. Where is your hometown? 

Dillon, Montana

N/A

We came to Sterling for my husband’s work. I’m originally from the West.

6. What subject do you teach?

English 2 & English 4

Poms coach

8. What’s the best advice you’ve been given about teaching? 

“Just Breathe”

I love my students!!!! That is why I teach! I’m trying to instill the love of reading in my students!

I have been working in the district for a few years, so it has been an easy adjustment to being a full-time teacher.

Zhane Williams-Hensley

I graduated from Pikes Peak State College with an Associate of Arts in English and French, and I received a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.

In college, I was a member of the French National Honor Society.

3. Where is your hometown?

I was born and raised in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Most recently, I was a long-term substitute at Horizon Middle School in Colorado Springs for one year. I taught 7th grade ELA.

I live in Dixon, but I came to Sterling to teach with my boyfriend, Mr. Baker. We wanted to come to a school where we both could get a job.

6. What subject do you teach?

This year I am teaching English 1 and College Readiness Reading.

I am not coaching or leading any clubs this year, but I hope to be a club leader in the future.

The best teaching advice I’ve been given is to admit when you are wrong and to admit when you don’t know something. I believe most students can tell when a teacher is putting on an act, unsure of themselves, or unwilling to recognize their faults. But when you can be real with your students about what you know and don’t know or when you’ve been wrong or right, it makes students more comfortable to do the same.

The best part of teaching is the actual teaching part, being up in front of students and seeing them progress toward a goal. I also like interacting with students every day. When you see someone so often (every day, five days a week), you can’t help but start to care for them and what they go through.

It hasn’t been a difficult change, but I have been buying more navy and yellow/gold.

Nolan Baker

I went to school at Northern Illinois University for two years before transferring to the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs to finish my undergraduate history education degree.

I was a member of the wrestling team at NIU and I lived at the Olympic Training Center while going to college in Colorado.

3. Where is your hometown?

Byron, Illinois

My student teaching experience was with 8th Grade U.S. History at Horizon Middle School in Colorado Springs.

5. Why did you come to Sterling?

I loved the school culture, the facilities, and the staff. Overall, it seemed like the perfect fit for me!

6. What subject do you teach?

I currently teach Government, Sociology, and Early American Geography

I am an assistant wrestling coach this year at S.H.S.

Be someone that students can trust and always hold them accountable.

9. What’s the best part of teaching? What’s the hardest part of teaching?

The best part of teaching is getting to see the students every day. Students that come in ready to learn and with a big smile on their faces makes all the difference. The hardest part of teaching is figuring out how each individual student learns. Everyone learns at their own pace and in their own ways, and it’s hard to figure that out early in the school year.

Talking with other members of the staff has been a great help in getting to understand the school culture here at S.H.S. If I ever have a question, there is always someone that is willing to help me out!

With one quarter of the year under their belts, these new teachers are thriving at SHS and providing their students with the best education possible. Each and every one of our new teachers adds their own unique touch to our school and we’re thankful to have them here!