• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Hunters develop lifelong skills

It doesn’t matter if you hunt deer, duck, or turkey now is the time. 

The sport of hunting is unlike any sport played in high school. High school sports typically only last throughout high school and sometimes through college; however, hunting is a sport that if you enjoy, you don’t have to stop doing it. 

Within the last few years, senior Dylan Ottens has started hunting and enjoying it. He plans to continue hunting throughout his life and to carry on the tradition through his family. Ottens says, “I’ve been hunting for three years. My dad and grandpa hunt and I plan to teach my son.” 

Security officer Greg King had a love for the sport of hunting but lack of time led him to drift away from it. As he became more “free,” he rediscovered hunting. Most people who love something don’t give it up unless they have to. King shares, “I started when I was in junior high. I had an air rifle and then eventually my dad gave me a shotgun he had when he was a kid. Then when I got into HS it was a lot harder to find time to hunt. I did not pick it back up until about 1991 when I started to hunt with my friends again.” 

“Prime time hunting” is when it is “chilly in the morning and cool in the afternoon,” shared junior Joey Cordell. Senior Ryan Schryver added that “prime deer hunting is late October and early November. Duck hunting open day or whenever we have a cold front.” 

These gentlemen agree that their favorite part of hunting is the aspect of nature. Ag teacher Tod McCullough says that his favorite part of hunting is “being out in nature.” Many of the other S.H.S. hunters agreed, with Schryver adding, My favorite part of hunting is actually getting out in nature and seeing the animal I’m hunting for in the wild. It’s really cool and hard to explain.” 

Much like the agreement on what was their favorite part of hunting, these gentlemen also agreed on their least favorite part. Cordell said that his least favorite part of hunting is “the cold.” Ottens said, “My least favorite is getting up in the early morning at 5:15 and getting dressed in the cold garage. It sucks.” Kind added, “The weather can be a big damper on things. You have to make sure you have the right amount of clothing.” It is good to know that hunting is done in various types of weather therefore, it is important to dress appropriately. 

As a hunter, the moment to be most proud of is your first kill. Whether it’s a dove, buck, turkey, or goose, the first is the one most hunters remember forever.  Cordell said, “I think everyone should experience hunting at least once in their life.” You either love it or hate it there is no inbetween. When hunting, keep in mind McCullough noted, “Please be safe when you are out hunting. Things can go wrong quickly and someone can be severely hurt or killed.”

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.