The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

September Students of the Month

Emily Lofgren and Lucas Austin are the September 2023 Students of the Month.

Sterling High School seniors are given the ability to apply for the school’s highest honor, Student of the Month. Students of the Month are those that have academically challenged themselves, participated in extracurricular activities/athletics, displayed themselves as a leader, and displayed S.H.S. in a positive light. Seniors Lucas Austin and Emily Lofgren were awarded the prestigious title for September.

Lucas Austin has proven himself to be a force academically, holding a grade point average (GPA) of 4.231. He has taken a vast amount of rigorous courses, including AP United States History, AP Chemistry, and AP English Language and Composition. Austin is currently taking two of the most challenging classes available: AP Calculus AB and AP English Literature and Composition.

Austin has also received support from his peers, receiving the titles of junior class vice president, senior class officer, varsity football captain, and varsity basketball captain. In addition, Austin has earned awards for his academic excellence. He has received the honor of being an Advanced Placement Scholar, three year Rotary Scholar, and Academic All State 5A Football.

When not in the classroom, Austin spends his time playing football and basketball. He is also an active member of the Young Doctors League and National Honor Society. In the future, Austin hopes to play division one football and major in biology at an undecided university. 

Emily Lofgren was also selected to be the Student of the Month. Throughout the past four years, Lofgren has completed college-level classes, earning a GPA of 4.125. These include AP Chemistry, AP Human Geography, and AP United States History. She is currently enrolled in AP Psychology, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Calculus AB, and AP Biology. 

Lofgren continues to serve as a great leader within the building, having held titles such as senior class president, co-president of the Young Doctors League, and co-president of the National Honor Society. She has also participated in girls swim and dive, Key Club, and student council. 

In her free time, Lofgren is actively involved in the community. She is a consistent volunteer at her church and helps the high school concession stands operate. After high school, Lofgren plans on applying to the University of Tampa’s nursing program to become a registered nurse (RN).

These two individuals have taken major strides towards these awards. They will go on to accomplish great things after high school.

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.