FFA stays busy this fall

Sterling+FFA+stands+together+after+being+recognized+on+stage+at+the+94th+annual+National+convention+for+receiving+a+national+FFA+3-star+ranking.+this+is+the+first+year+that+Sterling+FFA+has+received+the+3+star+ranking+

Sterling FFA stands together after being recognized on stage at the 94th annual National convention for receiving a national FFA 3-star ranking. this is the first year that Sterling FFA has received the 3 star ranking

The Future Farmers of America club has been busy with many activities. At the October chapter meeting Joseph Shank, Owen Anderson, Ellie Ryan, Joey Cordell, and Ben Boze were elected as the new Greenhand Officer Team. Greenhand Officers are second hand to the officers, they help in any way that the officers are in need. Some examples would be to help take pictures, help get information out, and see who all attended events. 

At the end of October a few students were allowed the opportunity to travel down to the FFA National Convention for four days. On the way down to the national convention students took a tour at Beasley’s Orchard. At the orchard, agriculture teachers Jacqueline Walters and Meg Barnhart showed off their inner child and were able to get pumpkins. While at the convention, students bonded together and got to learn more about each other and what makes them tick. On the way home, FFA members had the opportunity to tour Fair Oaks Farm and watch a cow give birth. SHS FFA was recognized on stage for receiving a National FFA 3-star ranking. The National FFA 3-star ranking is earned by chapters competing at FFA state convention by having the best planned and organized events for the following year. 

At the November chapter meeting, FFA members made tie blankets to donate to the New Life Church to give to those in need this season. Also, FFA members competed in agronomy, dairy foods, and grain fair contests. At the agronomy contest, members placed seventh out of 10 schools. For the dairy foods contest, members placed seventh out of seven due to only having one person representing Sterling. 

The December chapter meeting took place at the SHS ag shop on December 15th. We will be having a gift exchange, they will be buying a new pair of socks and stuffing them with little treats and goodies, they will also be having a potluck dinner.

For the month of December, FFA members volunteered at the Sterling Christmas walk. They walked around in costumes around the Christmas walk interacting with children and their families. 

Sophomore Ryan Scrhyver,  who was one of the students who had volunteered said, “The Christmas walk was very fun seeing how many people wanted pictures and then not knowing who you are under the mask.” 

In the upcoming months of January and February, Sterling FFA will be having the January chapter meeting on the 19th at 6:00 p.m., located in the SHS Ag Shop. In February, FFA will be partaking in the annual FFA week from the 20th-25th. The details will come out closer to the date. 

Sophomore Brady Shank states, “I am personally looking forward to FFA week as there will be many activities.” 

In the upcoming months, there will be different CDE, which are competitions that FFA members can compete in to better understand life in the agricultural field. 

In the months to come, FFA continues to strive to have more members get involved and the community learn more about agriculture.