New staff at S.H.S.

For the 2021-2022 school year we welcome these new staff members to Sterling High School.

Alexander Timpson

What attracted you to SHS?

“All my life I’ve moved around about every year. Being an important, lasting part of a smaller community definitely appealed to me, but the size of the school and the money that went into it honestly fit nicely in my comfort zone, too.”

What do you like most about teaching in Sterling?

“I think it’s really cool how everyone seems to know everyone. Even though I’m an outsider, many of my students have made me feel like a part of the community so quickly, and the support from my fellow teachers has been amazing as well.” 

What are you looking forward to in your career?

“I’m looking forward to hopefully becoming a teacher that my former students can tell their younger siblings or friends about, who can teach my kids things that they’ll remember years from now when they most need it, and whose name kids will see on their schedule and think “thank God he’s my teacher this year.”

Is this your first job in this position? If not, where else have you worked?

“It is my first job in this position.”

Are you involved in any other activities at SHS?

“I’m not involved in any other activities yet, but I’ve already been approached by the robotics club to assist them in the future, and I’ve had conversations about restarting the tabletop gaming club and the esports club for the school. I have lots of ideas, but only so much energy right now, so we’ll see what happens.”

Where did you go to college?

“I went to SIUE, Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville, Illinois. My degree is in English, with a minor in communications, which lets me teach high school.”

What hobbies do you have?

“Most often, I watch a lot of anime and play video games. I try to write as well, since I’ve got some ideas for short stories and a couple novels. And, of course, as an English teacher I like to read as well. And if you remember from a minute ago, I want to get more into the tabletop gaming community so we can play D&D with some students as well.”

What excites you about working at SHS?

“A lot of the teachers clearly have some good ideas and teaching methods that I’d love to learn from and adapt to my own style. Even if I don’t end up staying in Sterling forever, I hope to make some lasting relationships with the rest of the staff and the students in my classroom so I can have an impact on this community.”

Sterling Thornton

What attracted you to SHS?

“I went to SHS, so I knew the environment within the school. I also know the opportunities and support given to the teachers which allows them to help their students succeed and wanted to be a part of that.” 

“I really enjoy the interactions between staff members and students. It’s a fun environment to be a part of and makes this job fun.” 

“Building better relationships with the staff in order to best impact the lives of our students.” 

“This is my first teaching job.” 

Where did you go to college?

“I graduated from Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois.” 

“I am coaching football and sophomore basketball this year.” 

What hobbies do you have?

“I enjoy sports, fishing and hanging out with friends and family.” 

What excites you about working at SHS?

“The environment in the school, most of the people in the school both staff and students are upbeat. It makes it fun to come into work every day.” 

Hannah Jablow

What attracted you to SHS?

“I really liked the size of this school. I went to, and student taught, at a high school where the graduating class was 1100 students. It’s nice to see familiar faces, and I know the more I’m here, the more likely I am to know all students and staff. Additionally, there’s a great sense of community at SHS that is different from anywhere I’ve been in the past.”

“I like how much independence I have in my lesson planning and my teaching style. Yes, there is a curriculum and main ideas that we need to go over as a class, but I have independence on what I’m doing and how I’m getting there. I also like the team of other English teachers. I know I can go to anyone in the department for help and guidance and they are always quick to respond and great at giving advice.” 

“The main reason why I wanted to become a high school English teacher is to challenge students in their thinking, and to have important conversations about their communities and the world around them. I hope to bring in resources and materials that relate to student interests, but push their thinking and understanding of their environment. I’m looking forward to having these conversations and discussions with my students for many years to come.”

“Yes, this is my first job in this position. I was a long-term substitute after I was done student teaching, but this is my first full-time teaching job.” 

“The only activity I am involved with at SHS is the student-staff book club.” 

Where did you go to college? 

“I got my Bachelors in Communication and Rhetorical Studies from Syracuse University in 2018. I will have my Masters of Arts in Teaching from National Louis in June 2022.” 

What hobbies do you have?
“I love to read, cook, spend time with my family and friends, watch movies (anything Marvel), and travel.”

What excited you about working at SHS? 

“Similarly, to my answer in what I like most about SHS, I would say the independence in my lesson planning. I love to collaborate and work with my peers, but it’s really great that I can control what I’m doing. I’ve also really enjoyed the relationships I’ve formed with staff and students thus far.”

Jennifer Bubrick

What attracted you to SHS?

“What attracted me to SHS was the new implementation of the life skills classrooms. I love teaching this program and I was excited to work with a new team starting at the very beginning and growing the program!” 

“I love teaching in Sterling! I love the advances that this district has with technology, learning and the diverse options of classes. I have gotten my students involved in new classes and it is great to see how included my class is as a first-year program.”

“I am looking forward to growing this group of life skills classes into a whole new area that is what our community needs for our younger students”.

“This is my third year in this position but I taught middle school, but my 6th year overall. I have also worked at Sinnissippi Centers for six years working with high schoolers.”

Where did you go to college? 

“I went to Sauk and NIU for both of my degrees. I have a psychology degree and a degree in Special Education. I commuted from Dixon to NIU for 8 years!”

What excited you about working at SHS? 

“I am excited to be a part of the SHS team. I have enjoyed getting to see all of the different programs that Sterling has to offer and how students can excel for their next phase of life.”

What hobbies do you have?

“I have a lot of hobbies which revolve around my four children. We have a farm and a house in town so we are always busy with projects and improvements!”

Tyler Jakse

What attracted you to SHS?

“The strong community support for athletics and activities, the phenomenal facilities, and the great school leadership attracted me to go for the AD position here at SHS.” 

“I look forward to working with our students and helping them create more opportunities for themselves so that there is something for every one of them.”

“This is my job as an AD. Prior to getting hired at SHS I was a teacher and coach at Dunlap High School.”

“I am involved in nearly all activities as my title is activities director.”

Where did you go to college?

“Eastern Illinois University for undergrad and Lamar University for my Master’s degree.”

What hobbies do you have?

“I enjoy woodworking, playing basketball, and watching sports.”

What excites you about working at SHS?

“The commitment to making sure that all students are set up to succeed.”

What sports have you coached?

“Football, basketball, baseball, and track.”

Is this your first AD position?

“Yes.”

What subjects have you taught before this?

“Health, PE, and Driver’s Ed.”

Suzanna Riley

What attracted you to SHS?

“I am a physical therapist, working district wide in Sterling. Physical Therapists work in school systems working on physical access to education and participation in gross motor skills when they limit participation in education (examples might be if you have a medical diagnosis like cerebral palsy or spina bifida or have a lot of weakness or coordination problems). I especially love working at Sterling High School to help kids achieve the skills they need to achieve their goals… whether it is climbing stairs, strengthening for work, or learning skills.”

“Definitely the people. I am a parent of two SHS students (Rebecca- senior and Patrick- freshman) and while I always knew from the outside looking in that the people were amazing, the inside view is even better. Everyone I work with is passionate about the success of students and that is pretty awesome.”

“The best part about my job is every day is a little different. And I am most looking forward to just taking it one day at a time and helping people when I can.”

“I have been a pediatric physical therapist for 22 years. I have worked in over 30 different school buildings in that time in Indiana (Carmel-Clay and Hamilton Schools), in Gurnee IL (Woodland School Systems), in the Bi-County School system (Rock Falls, Milledgeville-Chadwick and Eastland Schools). I have also worked in three different hospital systems (Children’s Hospital of IL in Peoria, North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley CO, and CGH), treated babies through the Early Intervention System in four different states and worked in long term care facilities for adults with developmental disabilities. Yes, I am old.”

“Being a parent. LOL. I am president of the Academic Boosters Club- we exist to promote academic achievement at SHS through a variety of means including quarterly awards (coming soon), AP testing, teacher support and a variety of other things.”

Where did you go to college?

“St. Louis University. I have an undergraduate degree in Exercise Science through the Honors Program with minors in Catholic theology and philosophy. I also have a Master’s degree in Physical Therapy from the same place.”

What hobbies do you have?

“My family! You can usually find me hanging out on or by the Rock River with family and friends and our dogs- swimming, water skiing or visiting. I love to read and read about 3-4 books a week. And in the winter- snow skiing and going back to Colorado to visit the mountains.”

What excites you about working at SHS?

“Definitely the people. Everyone I meet is amazing at every turn. We are all working towards the same goal and that makes for a pretty awesome team.”

What is the most rewarding part of working with Life Skills? 

“All of our students at SHS, whether in life skills or not, are there working to meet goals that will help them for life. When any of our students achieve functional goals, it can be pretty life changing. My job is so rewarding because every day I believe in the power of people to meet their goals big and small.”

What are you excited to accomplish in your job?

“Educating people about what I am tremendously passionate about – the physical success and inclusion of kids! If anyone ever wants to know more about being a physical therapist, I would love to talk to them about what I do.”

Other new staff members include English teacher Kaelie Hanselman, special education teacher Jenny Malooly, School CNAs Mattea Bianchi and Olivia Garcia.