Library Club hosts student-staff book club

The S.H.S. Library Club held their student-staff book club on Tuesday April 9, 2024. Members of Library Club, back in February, voted between three different books to choose which one to read for the book club. The club ultimately decided to read YA fantasy book “Hotel Magnifique” by Emily J. Taylor. 

Library Club members and participating staff members received their books on or around March 12, giving them around a month to finish the book. Many of the book club members took advantage of spring break week to read the book, while some spread out their reading. 

The book club came together on April 9 to discuss the book. The participating staff members that made it to the discussion were science teacher Nicole Schlemmer, secretary Lori Adell, and English teacher Hannah Jablow, as well as Library Club advisor Heather Johnson. Three Library Club members made it to the discussion: Adriana Jenkins, Makenzi Borton, and Da Vonte Heckman. Although there were more people who read the book, not all of them were able to make it to the discussion.

During the discussion, some members were able to dabble in a new genre that they wouldn’t typically read, like Adell, who said, “Reading fantasy is tough for me. I typically read historical fiction or non-fiction as I am not very imaginative and that makes fantasy books hard to follow for me.” 

Members were also able to discuss their favorite and least favorite parts about the book. Jablow says that she “really liked the pacing of the book. Even though it was fantasy, it wasn’t super complex, so having a fast-paced, but still well organized and throughout book was great.” Jablow says she would recommend the book to someone who is just trying to get into fantasy, but not necessarily an “avid fantasy reader.” 

Each member got to share their perspective and thoughts on the book, which allowed the discussion to move along swiftly. Jenkins says she “enjoyed hearing others’ perspectives, especially the ones who do not typically read fantasy books.” Jenkins was able to learn from the other members aspects she hadn’t thought of before and bounce her ideas off of them.

Overall, the members all enjoyed the book and were happy to share their thoughts and ideas with the rest of the book club members. Many of them would recommend this book to anyone interested in fantasy or wanting to try out a new genre. The student-staff book club was ultimately a success! 

$50
$500