Prom prep is underway

Graduates+Julia+Thormeyer+and+Israel+Grande+stand+for+a+picture+together.+They+were+crowned+king+and+queen+for+prom+2023.+
Graduates Julia Thormeyer and Israel Grande stand for a picture together. They were crowned king and queen for prom 2023.

Prom is right around the corner. The entire prom committee at Sterling High School has dedicated almost 11 months to planning prom 2024.  

The theme for this year’s prom is “Oceanic Nights” and the decorations for the post-prom boardwalk theme will also follow the same theme. The prom premiere will be held on the football field at 5 p.m., it has been over 20 years since the last prom premiere was held on the football field. For this year, couples and groups will be led to the center of the field, take pictures, and then board a bus to the dance.  

The students will arrive at the McCormick Center for the dance from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., then be instructed to go to their designated table. After dinner is served, the king and queen of prom will be crowned. There will be backgrounds available for capturing photos as well. Keep an eye out for Persona who will be taking photos all night long. Kelly Ottens, one of the prom co-leaders, has been a member of the prom committee for three years and looks forward to participating in organizing and planning each year. 

“We have a great team that knows our focus is making sure that the kids have the best time,” Ottens says. 

Finally, post prom will take place in the commons, field house, and on the football field from 10:30-1:00 a.m. All guests will be provided with food and beverages throughout the entire night. Prom goers will be able to participate in the raffles where they can win prizes like gift cards, car care, gym memberships, rounds of golf, and a senior photoshoot session, among others. The night’s events will include 7 Brew, Kona Ice, a photo booth, a dunk tank, fire pits with smores, dodgeball, volleyball, a water balloon fight, and other activities. 

Junior Addison Andrews is one of several individuals on the prom committee, and she has been putting in a lot of effort with the group in preparation for the big event.  

Andrews stated, “I enjoyed coming together during meetings and combining all of our ideas.”     

The prom committee has worked hard to make sure that this prom will be memorable. Excited to see what the night has in store for us. Don’t forget to purchase your tickets during lunch from April 24th to 30th.

$50
$500