S.H.S. February Students of the Month

Seniors Olivia Melcher and Yamaan Alkhalaf

The S.H.S. Student of the Month program is designed to recognize student achievement and to showcase accomplishments for those who have shown their diligence. The individuals who are selected are those that have academically challenged themselves, participated in extracurricular activities/athletics, and displayed themselves as a leader. Seniors Yamaan Alkhalaf and Olivia Melcher have been selected for February Student of the Month.

Yamaan Alkhalaf has accumulated a grade point average (GPA) of 4.286. He has taken many advanced classes that S.H.S offers. This includes Accelerated Biology, Accelerated World History, Accelerated Geometry, Accelerated English I, Accelerated Algebra II, Accelerated English II, Accelerated Chemistry, AP Human Geography, AP US History, AP Biology, AP Government and Politics, AP Statistics, AP Language and Composition, AP Chemistry, AP Psychology, APCalculus AB, AP Literature and Composition. 

Outside of school Alkhalaf is involved in soccer, tennis, student council, Young Doctors League, National Honor Society, and Key Club. Alkhalaf earned the “Most Improved Player” in soccer. 

Alkhalaf has shown leadership positions such as helping Arabic teachers teach kids how to speak, read, and write in Arabic. Alkhalaf has also helped out with concessions at S.H.S. Some of his hobbies include lifting, playing sports, and spending time with people he cares about. His future plans include going to college with a focus in the medical field. Afterwards, he wants to work in the medical field helping others return to their best health. 

Olivia Melcher was also selected for Student of the Month. Melcher has earned a grade point average (GPA) of 3.77 over her years at S.H.S. She has taken AP Psychology and a variety of other classes at S.H.S.

Outside of school, Melcher participates in volleyball, basketball, and softball. Melcher was awarded Academic All-Conference for Volleyball and Scholar Athlete for September. She also earned all conference for volleyball, basketball, and softball while getting an MVP award and most improved award for basketball. She also got the offensive player of the year award for basketball and the “I’ll be there for you” award. Melcher was the varsity captain for volleyball and basketball. 

Melcher has shown leadership abilities in helping out with concessions and scoreboard at Challand. She enjoys playing sports, working out, babysitting, and reading. She plans on attending the University of Iowa and majoring in education after high school.

$50
$500