• Buy your 2023-2024 yearbook at jostens.com!
The Student News Site of Sterling High School

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

The Warrior Word

Crazy for a Cure back for a 10th year

Crazy for a Cure is a beloved event that is alway hosted in February; it honors those who have been affected by cancer. This event is conjoined with the boys’ basketball game, and are both celebrated together. This year was the 10th year STUCO hosted Crazy for a Cure.

Students were encouraged to come to the game to support the boys basketball team and wear their Crazy for a Cure shirts. Many students came in pink and others wore the other colors to support the other cancers. Crazy for a Cure shirts were sold in advance in order to fundraise money before the event. “My favorite part about Crazy for a Cure is the fact that everyone comes together for such a great cause. The gym is packed largely to support the fight for cancer.” said Senior Yaman Alkalaf. 

Weeks before the event members and advisors of Stuco reach out to businesses and community members. They ask for any form of donations. Donations this year included gift baskets, baked goods, and gift cards. Returning donors include Aurelio’s Bake Shop, B’lush Salon, Grizzly Garage Door, Sole Statement, and many others. “I feel that the event went very well! Any amount of money donated is helpful and I am so happy that we are able to raise thousands each year.” said Stuco advisor Alexis Ruiz.

Before the game begins, members of the boys basketball, cheer, poms, and girls basketball gather to hand out flowers. Those who have battled or are battling cancer are encouraged to stand to be honored and to be given flowers. “My favorite part about crazy for a cure is to see flowers handed out to those who battled cancer in their lifetime.” said Sophomore Chloe Clark

During the halftime of the basketball game the poms team performs with a group of guys. Poms girls and their partners practice in advance in order to be prepared for the big night. Guy Girl has become a fan favorite amongst students and parents.  

Crazy for a Cure is always a successful event at S.H.S. “I think it was an overall success – we usually have 2 events, but the girls basketball schedule didn’t lend itself for a February event this year, but even with one night, we were still able to raise $3,500 which is so amazing!” said Stuco advisor Nicole Schlemmer. 

Donate to The Warrior Word
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sterling High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.